Bolt head issue help!

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
awzook

Bolt head issue help!

Post by awzook »

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I am new to the forum and Model 8/81. Little story on rifle. It's a Model 8 built in 1926 in 35 Rem in good shooter shape. Took it to range. After the first 5 rounds it started having a issue every few rounds. The bolt head would be spun like it's in battery causing the rifle to jam. Spinning the bolt head to left would let it chamber a round and work like normal. Everything looks normal and not word heavily. Any ideas how to fix this or what causes it?
81police

Re: Bolt head issue help!

Post by 81police »

hey awzook,

You might consider disassembling the bolt & carrier, then inspecting each component for damage/excessive wear. There's plenty of resources in the links below to help you through that process. You can remove the bolt & carrier w/out taking the entire receiver apart btw.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... ge_id=1855

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=842
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
awzook

Post by awzook »

Thanks for the reply. I took the bolt carrier completely down. I see no parts that are broken. I did notice just a touch of wear on the bolt itself where the lock contacts it. The lock itself works and promptly snaps in place locking the bolt head in place. My carrier is chipped where the operating handle is. Top side and bottom side at the entrance for the handle goes in. I don't see how this would effect it in any way. Any place for a replacement carrier or complete bolt?
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

There are keys inside the receiver that are to keep the bolt in correct position when the rifle is assembled. If you look at the upper part of the left side of the receiver on the outside, you will probably be able to see the pins that hold them in place. There will be two pins and they have been ground and polished smooth to the receiver. Often hard to see. All rifles will have them. Anyway, the keys may have come loose or are very worn. You will also be able to see the key inside the receiver with the bolt carrier locked back. I suppose it could come loose and fall out. That would be your problem. I will post more if I think of something else.

ROB