Inspector markings

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
kph

Inspector markings

Post by kph »

I have a Model 8 with a barrel code of EZ. Also it has on the bottom of the receiver a small naval anchor below that is a, what looks to be a clover leaf. On one side is a star and the other side of that is an arrow head. The markings look as though they were punched in after the rifle was blued. The rifle is about 96%. Internally it looks like it has hardly been fired. If anyone can shed any light on these markings it would be appreciated.
imfuncity

Re: Inspector markings

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to the forum. 96% Model 8 - sounds like a nice one. What caliber? And can we see pictures ... please. 8-)

As you may know, after 1921 the barrel markings indicated DOM (date of manufacture) "EZ" being Oct. 1931 and the serial number was closer to the actual shipped date which has been know to be years later, in some extreme cases.

I am more of an accumulator then a collector but I do have THE BOOK on the 8s and 81s. The inspectors stamps/markings are just that. There has been no indication of any collector interest in them. Unless of course ones great grandfather worked there and happen to use the arrow head marking punch. ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kph

Re: Inspector markings

Post by kph »

Thank you for the response. The serial number is 65827 and it is a .35 cal. and that we are still
figuring out how to post photos on the computer. :lol: It is a pretty clean gun.