model 8 repair

Posts about the Model 8
sunwasinmyeyes

model 8 repair

Post by sunwasinmyeyes »

Hello,
I have ,of course, a model 8 in 35 rem.The barrel was replaced about 10 years ago by bill morrison in maine.The gun worked flawlessly until last year,it jams( using factory ammo) and i also noticed that the primers are slightly buldged,which never did before.
does anybody know what the cure for this would be, and does anybody know a gunsmith that specializes in model 8 rifles?
Time is getting short as hunting season is just around the corner in maine.
rem81auto

Re: model 8 repair

Post by rem81auto »

The hardness of primers are different from ammo companies.... ar you using the same factory ammo as you were when you had no problems ??.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

If you're having primer set back with factory ammo, my guess would be you're having headspace issues. With a recent rebarrel, I'd be willing to wager that is the case.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
45guy

Post by 45guy »

If you reload, skip full length resizing and use your once fired brass. Otherwise, find someone with a set of .35 Rem gauges and have them set the barrel back.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."