Split cases More data

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Phyrbird

Split cases More data

Post by Phyrbird »

Our recent discussions of split case necks has spread. There's good & bad news. This may be off topic for here.
Couple years ago I got 3 bx of Hornady 300BO ammo. Things went well at range for a while, but soon I noticed many splits in the case shoulder/necks. This could be dangerous besides the fact it destroys the cases. SOOO
I did a multitude of tests: cleaned Bbl & chamber, tested different bolts in the upper, verified head space after firing w/ the Hornady case measuring tool, 6-8 range trips for testing. Ya get the idea. :geek: Next went to local smith for advice. Ended up changing the gas port to an adjustable type. $100 :shock: Finally connected with the ammo factory (Hornady) BOY they were Nice, Prompt, & very informative. Turns out the cases had a hard spot from anneal on some of this lot of cases. Not publishing the lot here, I'm letting the factory handle the issue. SOOOO result is they replaced the original 150 rounds, plus were nice enough to supply some top of the line ammo as offset for my expenses. My compliments to the Hornady support & sales groups for their response.
Phyrbird
SOKY