Model 8 cleaned and shot

Posts about the Model 8
Alatheia

Model 8 cleaned and shot

Post by Alatheia »

Took my recently acquired Model 8 down to bare bones and cleaned her up. She wasn't as dirty as I thought she'd be but dirty enough still the same. I was able to spot the problem with the sticking safety I'd mentioned earlier. The outer lever was bent just enough to get hung up on the detent on the frame. Straightened it while it was out of the gun and voila it functions fine. Overall the gun looks better and functions much more smoothly since the cleaning.

Took her to the range. I had 13 cartridges to shoot (in the rain). I shot at 50 yards from a sandbag rest. Load was 37 grains of AA2495 with 200 grain round nose Lee home cast bullet. Group size, (3 shots) after I figured out (sort of) the sight picture, was about 1.5". The load is one i use in my small ring Mauser and shoots well in that rifle and the 8 seems to like it too.

The bullet is from a 6 hole Lee mold that was purchased from a group buy with the Cast Bullet association, if I remember correctly. It actually casts at .360". The lead composition is wheel weights with a little lino thrown in and water quenched. I use the bullets as cast, no sizing and lube with Lee liquid Alox. I also use a little (.5cc) cereal filler between the powder and the bullet. (If you tell many people you do that they'll fuss at you. Use load at your own risk. ;) ) Chrono says the load runs about 1900 fps. No leading and in the Mauser I have gotten 100 yard groups as good as 1.25" (5 shot) but 2 to 2.5" is more typical. It's minute of deer anyway.

The recoil from the model 8 isn't bad, but that double bump does feel different from the bolt action. Some people say they can hear the mechanism moving, but I can't. With my little M1 carbine I can hear the mechanism, but not with the Model 8. I enjoyed shooting the 8 and everyone who has seen it has been very curious. They were all familiar with Browning's shotgun but not the rifle.

Next time I shoot it maybe it won't be raining and I can test some more loads and provide pictures here.

David
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)