Range Time In January

Posts about the Model 8
Wildgoose

Range Time In January

Post by Wildgoose »

Hard to believe here in Nebraska. Fifty five degrees, no snow or ice for weeks now. :D Just had to get the reworked Model 8 out for a spin. Its done for the most part, loose barrel jacket fixed, all cleaned up and tang sight installed. Found that the Marbles fold down rear sight didnt work to well with the tang sight in actual shooting so I will replace it with a rear sight blank. I had to go with a Lyman peep as the Redfield 102N I picked up didnt work out. Great sight but the mounting hole that was drilled in the receiver for the upper mounting screw was stripped out, off center and a bit oversized. :shock: Insted of dealing with that I sold the Redfield and used a single mount Lyman. Even at that I had to do some shiming to get things square. The cost of these old tang sights being what it is I didnt want to remove any metal to make it fit and just went with brass shims. Hand loaded ammo with both Serria 200 Grain and Hornady 220 Grain FTX bullets over 35 grains of H4895 shot to the same point of aim at 75 yards and produced reliable 3" five round groups. All in all a great winter day with a great old hunting rifle. 8-)
Last edited by Wildgoose on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Re: Range Time In January

Post by 81police »

Great shooting and great pictures! Looks like a fun day ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator