getting to know my new friends!

New Member Introductions
mooshoo

getting to know my new friends!

Post by mooshoo »

I'm mooshoo and I'm interested in getting a model 81 in 35 remmy I live in taylorville utah and I love to shoot vintage guns I like savage 99,winchester 54's and winchester 94's and remington 14's and 141, right now I want to learn about the model 81 thanks
Alatheia

Re: getting to know my new friends!

Post by Alatheia »

Welcome. I'm new too. Lots of good info here and folks are good and entertaining. I'm still waiting on delivery of my 8. Should be here Friday.

David
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Don't pass up a good deal on a M8 or M81 in .30 Rem or an M81 in .300 Savage. I personally can't get very excited about the .35 Remington when the .300 Savage is arguably superior for most hunting applications, assuming that is your intent. Both the .35 and .300 can be somewhat punishing to shoot. The most fun is to be had with the .30 as it does not beat you up as badly as the .35 or .300, but you must reload if you fancy it.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Newbies,

A big hearty welcome to both of you. I hope that you will enjoy the company and feel free to ask questions so that we may offer offer our biased opinions. Be cautious of the "jackitis" because the cure is not known. :o You can get minor relief with an occassional purchase of another 8 or 81. :lol:

Please post some pictures when you get your rifle. We never get tired of seeing the old springpoles.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

welcome mooshoo, you've come to the right place!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome to you. I second the thoughts of Dewalt about the 30 Remington. Maybe I`m just getting older and have had enough of getting beat up with recoil. Shooting the 8 in 30 Rem is a pleasure and the reloading is not a big deal. Keep an eye out here and do a search on-line from time to time for 30 Rem brass and ammo and it can be found. Should you acquire one I`m sure we could get you started with enough for it to go bang. Good choice in the other vintage arms you mentioned. I share your likes in that department with all save a 54 in the collection. Do have a first year produced Model 70 so am close. Let us know your progress in adding some springpoles .
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Do have a first year produced Model 70 so am close.
I have one that is close to yours - from mid 1938, in .270. It is my best estate sale gun find ever, paid $300 about 20years ago. But someone had drilled and tapped scope base holes in the rear bridge. Nonetheless, it's in prime condition and shoots excellent groups with any load, especially so with 110 grain bullets.