Just Wondering

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Wildgoose

Just Wondering

Post by Wildgoose »

I cleaned my M8 in 35Rem and my M81 in .30 today. Maybe it was the bore solvent in a poorly ventilated area but I started to wonder how most of the folks here store thier Model 8 and 81's after cleaning. Cocked or uncocked? Do they dry fire the gun before putting it back in the rack or leave it cocked? So I thougt I would ask and see what the group has to say.
Roger

Re: Just Wondering

Post by Roger »

I really don't think about it much,but I leave them cocked. I just assumed that since the m-8/81 firing pins are kind of fragile, that you wouldn't want to drop the hammer on them with an empty chamber. I don't even know if that's a valid reason or not. But. That's the way I seem to do it. Hope this helps answer your question in some small way.
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

For what it is worth, I always pull the trigger. I haven't ever had a broken firing pin from dry firing, but I guess there is always a first time. I was told by an old gunsmith one time that it is best not have the tension on the trigger spring and so I don't.

I will say that doesn't hold true for some revolvers. I always let the hammer down and do not dry fire them.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

FWIW: I keep them uncocked for the same reason - releasing the tension. But, due to their age I always release the bolt slowly by hand.

And, I also "let the hammer down" regardless of the "it's OK to dry fire a centerfire but never a rimfire". I have a hard time letting all that tension "hammer" into the frame, etc... my limited knowledge of physics says that tension/energy has to go somewhere.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

imfuncity wrote:FWIW: I keep them uncocked for the same reason - releasing the tension. But, due to their age I always release the bolt slowly by hand.
Well Heck, (Insert sound of open palm slapping forehead.) Just like I do with my bolt guns. Thanks for the tip imfuncity! Its decocked for me from now on without worry about firing pin issues. :)
81police

Post by 81police »

You don't have to dry fire the gun. There's a way to safely let the hammer fall w/out worry of damage. Here's how you do it.,

Grab the op. handle with your right hand and pull the bolt to the rear until it locks. While keeping pressure on the op. handle hit the bolt release (magazine indicator) on the left side of the receiver with your left hand. Now very slowly let the bolt move forward. While you're doing this take your left hand and start pulling the trigger. You'll feel a spot about halfway through bolt travel where the hammer will fall but not with great force and not right against the firing pin. Once that happens you can let the bolt go and no need to dry fire. That's the safe way to de-cock the rifle.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I just had another case of CRS. :o 81police is correct with his explanation. I just plain forgot that little detail about letting the bolt off and then pulling the trigger. :oops: This definitely works and is the correct way to un-cock the rifle.

I am sorry I spouted off without thinking it all the way through. I had an algebra teacher tell my Dad one time, "His sounds comes on before his picture tube has warmed up!" The results of that little comment got me grounded for 6 weeks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

No problem Jack, consider yourself grounded only a week this time. :roll:

I too forgot to mention the bolt release, on the other hand I appreciated knowing about doing the trigger/hammer spring release at the same time for the same reason - I thought that everything was released when I closed the bolt - duh! May I be grounded for 6 weeks, please. :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Well blow me down!!! I too knew about the whole op handle trigger deal but with the auto -5 shotgun. Well I guess I need a slap on the head too! The triggers assemblies are really alot alike so I should have surmised. This one myself. I guess you learn something new everyday,for real,not just a saying.
Thanks for your time,Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Golly Ned, Neighbor!!!
Is this a great site or what?!!!
So much knowledge about these rifles and so many folks willing to share!!!

Gotta love it!!