Strange firing event and ? on the Marble No. 6 tang sight

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
ODA 564

Strange firing event and ? on the Marble No. 6 tang sight

Post by ODA 564 »

So I tool my 1908 Model 8 - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1557&sid=320b9c2e9 ... 4796f57fd3 - to the range last Sunday.

It was actually the first time I'd fired it since I took it all apart, cleaned 60+ years of gunk out of it, scrubbed the bore, and refinished it.

First round went "bang!". Then there was a distinct pause. Then the bolt flew back and ejected the round. As in "bang" 1-2-3-4 "eject".

Now it didn't do that before all that work.

Cleared the rifle and checked the bore, thinking it might have been a squib (current production Winchester 200 grain "PP" ammo). Nope, bore is clear and there is a hole in the target. Worked the action repeatedly to settle the lubrication (Ballistol).

Loaded again. "Bang-eject" 4 times. I guess if I was 105 I'd be tired sometimes too.

Next, the Marble tang sight (No. R6). It locks down, but it doesn't lock in the verticle? At least mine doesn't seem to. The instructions are mum on that.
81police

Re: Strange firing event and ? on the Marble No. 6 tang sight

Post by 81police »

ODA 564,

What might have appeared as a delay in the action recoiling rearward was probably the bolt & carrier not returning to their forward positions immediately. So it sounds like when the round was fired, the bolt & carrier immediately recoiled rearward, but did not return forward like they should. In these rifles spent casings are ejected when the barrel travels forward (after recoil) while the bolt is still in its rear position against the back of the receiver. I hope that makes sense.

Sounds like the ole girl just needed to be aired out a few times before getting into rhythm ;)

Your refinished rifle looks great btw :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"In these rifles spent casings are ejected when the barrel travels forward (after recoil) while the bolt is still in its rear position against the back of the receiver."
What dayaknowboutthat? :o Been hanging around these parts for awhile now, didn't know that. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

As far as I know, my marbles tang sights only lock down. That was part of the pitch on these sights,flexible was the name assigned to them . Hentse they weren't locked in the upright position but remained ( flexible) or movable if they were hit by something. This was a supposed plus compared to Lyman.
Thanks for'your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Yep, my Marbles only lock in the down position. Small silding wedge piece on the forward side of the sight has to be forward for the staff to come up from the vertical. Won't lock the staff when its in the vertical position.

ODA 564

Post by ODA 564 »

Rodger wrote:
As far as I know, my marbles tang sights only lock down. That was part of the pitch on these sights,flexible was the name assigned to them . Hentse they weren't locked in the upright position but remained ( flexible) or movable if they were hit by something. This was a supposed plus compared to Lyman.
Thanks for'your time,
Roger
It seems to be a strange "feature" since to be accurate, the sight has to be in the same position every time.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I understand your pesimism. It does seem counter-productive. But that truly was their sales pitch,and they were called flexible peep sights. However ,I own 3 or 4 marbles tang peep sights,and i've never no tied any significant change in accuracy when moving those units.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com