New Guy New to me 81. Pic's Added.....

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
blackpearl

New Guy New to me 81. Pic's Added.....

Post by blackpearl »

Hi All,

First time posting here. I just two days ago picked up a 81 Woodsmaster. She was born in June of 1950 and sports a serial number of 55584. Two things I found interesting were a professionally inlayed brass ring on the left side of the buttstock, centered and about 1 inch from the buttplate. The other is the carving of a running Buck on the right side,also close to the buttplate. Both look as if they are the same age as the rifle. The finish on the carved buck is exactly the same as the rest of the stock set.
Did Remington do this is my question. I will post some pic's soon. The rifle is a .35 Remington and in about 95%+ condition. I have never seen one of these rifles untill last week and I knew She was going to come home and live with me. I traded a 1975 Browning BLR .308 for her even up. Did I do ok ???
Last edited by blackpearl on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't flatter yourself that friendship authorizes you to say disagreeable things to your intimates. The nearer you come into relation with a person, the more necessary do tact and courtesy become.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
81police

Re: New Guy New to me 81

Post by 81police »

blackpearl,

Welcome to the "springpole" club, we're glad to have ya here :D

If you find the time try and post pictures of the stock carvings, they sound interesting!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

Thanks Cam,

I will post pic's today if there's time. I am a cabinet maker and finish carpenter and already have a design for a oak or maple break down case for the rifle. Saying that I am excited about my new 81 is an understatment :D . Rick
Don't flatter yourself that friendship authorizes you to say disagreeable things to your intimates. The nearer you come into relation with a person, the more necessary do tact and courtesy become.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
81police

Post by 81police »

Rick,

That sounds like a cool project especially coming from a professional wood worker!

The post below has some pictures that might be of interest to you. It's a case made by one of our members Jack1653 for his Model 8 w/ 3 barrels.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1898
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to the addiction. You may want to build that dispaly case big enough for the rest of the family. :o Or, at least keep the design handy. ;)

Will be watching for the pics.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

Thanks Guys,

Thank you Cam for Jacks link. It would be nice to find a wayward barrel in a .300 Savage as I may consider doing the same sort of thing. I was told that my 81 is a deluxe as it has the checkering on the hand guard and on one side of the grip. The case I am going to make is going to be more a utility case rather then a presentation case. Think more on the lines of to and from the range or hunting camp. It will be around 24"X 14" ID or just a tad bigger if I found an extra barrel :D . The whole key here is to keep the weight low. Jacks Case is Beautiful with out a doubt but as he mentioned its heavy. His is more of a presentation case which is totally exceptable. I have an AR15 (Annabell ) that is stowed in a Pelican case and with all her gear is about 48 lbs with 6 empty clips. Guess I am looking at a case that is relatively easy to transport. I did not get home tonight till after 9pm so I was once again unable to get some pic's. I will take her to work with me tomorrow and get some pic' there. I know Jack made his case out of walnut and I was thinking about Maple or oak. I have access to pretty much any kind of North American hardwood there is and different exotics so I may suprise you. Rick
Oliver Wendell Holmes
popgun

Post by popgun »

Let us know how the case turn out. Some of us may also be interested in one.
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

popgun wrote:Let us know how the case turn out. Some of us may also be interested in one.
Will do Popgun. I will keep you all posted. Now its off to become a caffeinated carpenter.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

Got home late last night and found my brain would not handle the task of loading pic's from the camera to the puter. I will try this again :lol: . The streaks on her butt were there when she came home with me. My guess is someone got a little carried away with the Hoppies No.9 :roll: . Its an oil finish so I can fix that.... Have a great day guys.
Attachments
Remington Model 81 013.jpg
Remington Model 81 013.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 12516 times
Remington Model 81 004.jpg
Remington Model 81 004.jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 12514 times
Remington Model 81 001.jpg
Remington Model 81 001.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 12512 times
Oliver Wendell Holmes
imfuncity

Re: New Guy New to me 81. Pic's Added.....

Post by imfuncity »

That IS some fine looking wood - all around. :)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

Hi Guys,

Been pretty quiet around here the last few days. You all still in your Loooooong winters nap :lol: So a quick question . Am I off my nut about the thought of finding a 300 Savage barrel for this 81. If I do what do you think I will be looking at for price ??????
I am building the case for it now and have allowed some extra room for the additional barrel if one happens to cross my path at an affordable price. The case is 15 1/2"X 25 1/2" OD 5 1/2 High . Without hardware it is 7 lbs. I plan on adding an internal goodie box for a cleaning kit, sling etc . I am also creating a place for ammo. My goal is to keep the finished and loaded weight at or close to 20 lbs. That is without the extra barrel. I am working on a cabinet job right now so the case may take just a bit, also all the hardware the case needs will set me back about $50.00 so I am going to have to run that past the BOSS or she wont be happy :roll: :lol: .
Oliver Wendell Holmes
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey blackpearl,

You should not have any difficulty in finding a barrel assembly for the 300 Savage. Check with Jeff or Bob of the S and S Huntclub. You can find them on Gun Broker. They often have items like you are seeking. They are located in Michigan and are good honest guys to buy from. You can contact them at s-shuntclub@sbcglobal.net. The last barrel assembly I purchased from them was in excellent condition. They had cleaned the assembly thoroughly and provided pictures for me to examine.

If you are not successful in locating one in a reasonable time frame, send me a PM and I might be willing to part with one of mine.

Regards,

jack1653
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

Thank you Jack,

Can you please give me a rough idea as to how much I can expect to pay for a 300 savage barrel assembly. I just need to set aside $$$$ in my unexplained outgoing fund. These are not good times to be a self employed carpenter :( . Quite frankly its getting really old and the wolves are getting bigger as they circle my camp............................. :roll: . I have been doing some trading and picking up some choice weapons and not cutting into the limited budget hardly at all. This works well for me and it keeps The Swedish Goddess happy.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey blackpearl,

You should be able to pick up a decent barrel assemby somewhere around $250 plus shipping. A really good one could go to $300. :o

I purchased my 300 to do exactly what you are contemplating. The assemblies exchange easily and it make for a unique setup. I built one case for my rifle that has three barrels but haven't built the case for the .35 and .300. That may be next winters project.

I can understand your situation and putting a few dollar back for a gun related item can certainly stress the household. You take care of that Swedish Goddess because the Swedes are good people. :) I know this because my Grandfather came from Sweden. :D

Good Luck,

Jack
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

Jack,
You are the one that built the Walnut case. Very nice, I love walnut but have a special place in my heart for cherry. 250 300 is kinda what I was thinking it would be. I have a kitchen job to look at this week and if I get that I think I can swing some cash over to the super secret Man toy fund.
Not to worrie about the Swed she has been putting up with my @#$! for 15 years so I think she has me pretty well figured out :lol: Thanks again.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Gary,

There is a posting in "Wanted to Buy" thread from Ken indicating there is a 300 Savage barrel assembly on Ebay. You may want to check it out.

Jack
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

I broke down the 81 this AM to see how she ticks................. :o Lots of parts laying on the bench when I was done. Couple things I found one good and one not so good. The not so good was the Williams Peep site was drilled and tapped into the reciever. The center hole was buggered up so it was drilled again :x so I now have 4, FOUR holes drilled into the side of the reciever. I do believe in the very near future I am going to make them go away. The good is when I was cleaning the butt and trying to scrub the cleaning solution streaks out of the wood I discovered that there is a compass in the stock after all. It was hidden under years of Goo. The streaks are still there so I may need to refinish the wood which I was not planning on needing to do, but how it looks now is unexceptable.......Have a great week Guys. Rick.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Hole-ly eightyones Batman! - Need any more? Got some. :oops:

While tearing it down you might check under the butt pad and see if the previous owner left you hints as to where the gun has been. Never found anything in any of mine but others have, can add some fun to the rifle.
blackpearl

Post by blackpearl »

[quote="imfuncity"]Hole-ly eightyones Batman! - Need any more? Got some. :oops:

While tearing it down you might check under the butt pad and see if the previous owner left you hints as to where the gun has been. Never found anything in any of mine but others have, can add some fun to the rifle.[/quot

No "TATS" on her butt, I checked :lol: . She is going to keep her life storie to her self and leave it up to me to look for bread crumbs as I clean her up. I took her to the range yesterday thinking I would be able to run a little lead down the pipe but was unable due to a lack of time. Rick
Oliver Wendell Holmes