Woodmaster Model 81 Refurbish or not.

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
t7013tjr

Woodmaster Model 81 Refurbish or not.

Post by t7013tjr »

I recently inherited a model 81 Woodmaster that my grandfather used when hunted. The rifle has sat in my father's closet for in excess of 25 years with no maintenance. I did a very basic cleaning and it seems to fire and function well which is a testament to the workmanship of this rifle. However, there is a good deal of pitting on the receive and some minor rust patches on the barrel. The stock is also dinged up a bit. I have refurbished a number of firearms and so I have no problem taking care of this. However, given the history on this website, I am having second thoughts about how I should proceed with this weapon. Any thoughts on whether to do a complete refurbish on this gun? If not what is a good way to preserve it without taking away from its value? Thanks.
DWalt

Re: Woodmaster Model 81 Refurbish or not.

Post by DWalt »

Not seeing it, I can't say. But the general guidance is to just leave it alone if it is operational and enjoy it as-is. What caliber and manufacturing date is yours? Does the receiver have scope mount holes drilled in it? Peep sight?
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Like he said, PicturesRUs!

Agree that most of us lean toward the "don't refinish" but ... that said, yours is a bit different being an heirloom. As you already know, you have two very different but also equally good options:
a. Refinish it as a wall hanger; enjoy knowing that it was your grandfathers, and that you want it to stay in the family.
b. Leave it original, with minimum amount of preservation, but keeping all of the rifles "character and souvenirs" intact, as a memento to him and his hunts - even better if some of the dings, etc. can be ID to specific hunts or experiences.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

As an heirloom I'd be hard pressed to alter it.... However, since the pitting has been due to improper storage I say go for it if you plan on keeping it and shooting it.

Now as to value... *FLAME SUIT ON!* If it is a run of the mill 81 I wouldn't sweat the difference at all. The sad reality is that WE have artificially inflated the prices to a degree. It's hard to believe, but before the ascension of the internet, people where dumping 8's and 81's dirt cheap because they fired an obsolete round. Now we have collectors boards, and loaded ammo and brass is but a google search away. So what I'm trying to say is while it may have value to some as an unmolested paperweight, I derive my pleasure from the use of my 8 rather than admiring it collecting dust in the safe. So in short, if you plan on keeping and using it, definately go for it! If nothing else, strip the metal and reblue to deal with the pitting.
Last edited by 45guy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Another refinishing consideration is that it won't be cheap to do a metal and wood refurbishment, I'd say in the $200-$300 range (but that depends a lot on who does the work). While it will look a lot nicer, it won't shoot any better, and it won't increase its value any. I've always held to the theory that if I want a gun that looks like new, I'll buy a new gun.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Agree w/ 45guy and DWalt,

I had missed the 81 part earlier (I was thinking an M8). Believe I too would lean toward the refinish on an M81. Rereading I also, noticed that you have done some of this before; this could indeed be a fun project and at the right price - making grandpa's rifle look like grandpa's rifle again. (I see a correlation to photography; one of the things required for a good picture is to manipulate the picture until grandma looks like grandma vs. what the camera actually saw.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Also, pull the barrel out of the jacket... You may have the same unpleasant suprise Mitch and I had...
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

As 45Guy said, "looks like they were stored in a bucket of water" - they belonged to a husband and wife. But they did clean up and now work just fine.
81police

Post by 81police »

t7013tjr,

In all reality the liklihood is that the money you put into getting it refinished like you want will not add equal value to the rifle when done. You know though, it's your rifle if you want it refinished then do it, I'm sure it would look nice. Reblued guns aren't the ones bringing the high sale prices let's put it that way.

Enjoy it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator