1916 Model 8

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
1913Model8

1916 Model 8

Post by 1913Model8 »

I really wanted to redo the finish on the stock and forearm. I attached here some photos and info on how I finished it.
Followed the old Larry Potterfield method of the sanded in finish.
I understand the value and respect of keeping the gun fully original finish and all but this is something I really wanted to do.
The wood of course was not perfect but completely fixable. The Forearm insert for the fastener was becoming loose and the wood was starting to crush. I made sure to attempt and remove as little as possible of the wood. So again following Larry Potterfields gunsmithing knowledge and tips which is a gift from god it seems I sucsessfully restored the wood as if it was new. Absolutely love how it turned out, and feels so nice with the sanded finish.
Enjoy! and please not hate comments. :D
Attachments
close ups (1).jpeg
close ups (1).jpeg (324.92 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Finished (1).jpeg
Finished (1).jpeg (353.67 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
MinnesotaDan

Re: 1916 Model 8

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I think you did a wonderful job and should be proud of the restoration to this old firearm. You have extended it's life almost indefinitely, which is way better that a rifle that deteriorates in to a "parts gun".

It is your rifle to do with as you please, I think that you did it a great service. Well done.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Dan
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

You did an excellent job on getting an old springpole looking pretty darn good.

Regards,

jack1653
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:08 am I think you did a wonderful job and should be proud of the restoration to this old firearm. You have extended it's life almost indefinitely, which is way better that a rifle that deteriorates in to a "parts gun".

It is your rifle to do with as you please, I think that you did it a great service. Well done.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Dan
Thanks very much! Thats my goal as well to is to extend the life of it and take care of it to the best to pass it down and make it go another 100 years.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

jack1653 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:34 am You did an excellent job on getting an old springpole looking pretty darn good.

Regards,

jack1653
Thanks very much! Was an extremely fun process!
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Yes a nice looking job on that stock !!! Very nice ! John Taylor
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

54bullseye wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:38 pm Yes a nice looking job on that stock !!! Very nice ! John Taylor
Thanks very much!
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Larry does have some great tips. I`ve done the sand in method on countless stocks past 40+ years and never been disappointed. Learned the process from John Kay @ Winchester Restorations. Used his pre 64 oil to do several but switched to another product years ago. Drying time was the issue with John`s oil. The product I use is Waterlox Original sealer. Its a combination of linseed,tung and dryers. First few sand ins are with 50/50 mix of Waterlox and low odor mineral spirits. Final couple full strength. I`ve restored a slew of old Winchesters and other rifles and shotguns. Have a couple 8`s that I plan to do. Your 1916 looks great did you do the bluing also?

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Sarge756 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:13 pm Larry does have some great tips. I`ve done the sand in method on countless stocks past 40+ years and never been disappointed. Learned the process from John Kay @ Winchester Restorations. Used his pre 64 oil to do several but switched to another product years ago. Drying time was the issue with John`s oil. The product I use is Waterlox Original sealer. Its a combination of linseed,tung and dryers. First few sand ins are with 50/50 mix of Waterlox and low odor mineral spirits. Final couple full strength. I`ve restored a slew of old Winchesters and other rifles and shotguns. Have a couple 8`s that I plan to do. Your 1916 looks great did you do the bluing also?

Joe
Thanks for the reply and the awesome info! I love getting to collect knowledge from people that are hard to find! I wish I had some of this info years ago when I was doing some of this woodworking. Thanks for looking and the compliment! The bluing is actually original if you can believe that. I inherited a few guns that were my grandfathers that he actually really never used or my dad's for that matter. It was my grandfather's stepdad that bought and used them. He was a professor at the U of M in MN. All the guns I got are from 1900 up to 1940. from what I can see I really don't think they ever got much use. My grandfather was born in the early 20s by the way to give you an idea. The one question I have that I am looking to get more info on is the 1900 Remington SXS 12ga. Serial number 300544 which from my understanding on Remington's site it is number 544 seeing they started at 300,000.
I would like to know more about the rarity and what is the lowest known number that exists. Unfortunately, that gun has been heavily used and needs a full good resto. (dent in the barrel, off the face, won't latch, wood is extremely banged up and splitting apart from the receiver and bluing is pretty much gone. But on a good note is a complete numbers-matching gun with no missing parts the metal is in pretty good shape and the butt plate is nice and that is the speared version with the little detail on the top. Full chokes. That gun will be restored one day! I will have to post pictures of that someday.
I would like to get your opinion on where or how to get rough-cut walnut for this gun. I will never get rid of the original wood as it has the stamped numbers in it but to make it a workhorse again I am pretty sure it needs new wood?
Have you ever used or know of any one using Turnbull restoration in NY?
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

How fortunate to have one this nice and know the history too. Pardon for my assumption on the bluing. Would not hesitate to recommend Turnbull. I have never sent anything to them but few years back did own a Savage 99 short rifle in 303Sav that came out of his shop. The wood and metal were outstanding with perfect checkering and finish. First class work. Bare in mind however that at the time, after inquiries, I determined I had paid an amount for the entire rifle about equal to what the wood alone would have cost. Let your pocketbook be your guide. There are vendors with wood for 1900 Remingtons. Macon Gunstocks lists buttstocks and forends @ $150 each. I dealt with them 10 or 15 years ago with a restock of a Win Model 12 and had no complaints about it. You apparently have some skills with wood. Don`t know what your experience is with metal but it isn`t rocket science. Larry Potterfield has some excellent videos covering rust-bluing and there are many more available via Utube on the subject. Post some close up photos of the 1900 and with myself and others here eyeballing it might be able to advise which way to proceed.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Sarge756 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:07 pm How fortunate to have one this nice and know the history too. Pardon for my assumption on the bluing. Would not hesitate to recommend Turnbull. I have never sent anything to them but few years back did own a Savage 99 short rifle in 303Sav that came out of his shop. The wood and metal were outstanding with perfect checkering and finish. First class work. Bare in mind however that at the time, after inquiries, I determined I had paid an amount for the entire rifle about equal to what the wood alone would have cost. Let your pocketbook be your guide. There are vendors with wood for 1900 Remingtons. Macon Gunstocks lists buttstocks and forends @ $150 each. I dealt with them 10 or 15 years ago with a restock of a Win Model 12 and had no complaints about it. You apparently have some skills with wood. Don`t know what your experience is with metal but it isn`t rocket science. Larry Potterfield has some excellent videos covering rust-bluing and there are many more available via Utube on the subject. Post some close up photos of the 1900 and with myself and others here eyeballing it might be able to advise which way to proceed.

Joe
Thanks for the recommendation of Macon, this will definitely come in handy down the road. I kinda figured that what you might say about Turnbull but I might have to have a gun done one day by them sounds extremely satisfying. I saw the Larry video you are talking about with the rust bluing, it was so fascinating! I re watch his stuff all the time. I will be posting photos of the 1900 very soon.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com