New Article on the Model 8 in AFRICA

81police

New Article on the Model 8 in AFRICA

Post by 81police »

Big Enough for the Biggest Game: The Remington Autoloading Rifle in Africa

Was the Model 8 in 35Rem suitable for African big game?
Was it reliable enough for dangerous game?
Did Teddy Roosevelt actually take one to Africa?
Who really championed the Autoloading Rifle in Africa?

Hope y'all enjoy! I welcome and questions or commments.

https://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety ... ge_id=2978
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
MinnesotaDan

Re: New Article on the Model 8 in AFRICA

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Thank you, Cam, for a scholarly and entertaining article. Well done!
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Great job on the article ! You must have spent some time researching to come up with all that info. For some reason Africa never called me I have always been a North American hunting fan. That is where the model 8 really did it's job but it was interesting hearing about those African hunts !! Again good job. John Taylor
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks John, maybe i'll write a follow-up, "Big Enough for the Biggest Game II: The Remington Autoloading Rifle in North America" :D :shock: :lol:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

I wish to compliment you on your article, “Model 8 in Africa”. I like the way you presented the article chronologically. It is a good read and holds your attention. To have period correct pictures of the topic added to the enjoyment of the topic.

Most of us were not aware of the history of the Model 8 in Africa. With the exception of Teddy Roosevelt and Marc Davis, I had never heard of the other gentlemen that you mentioned. Marc Davis did share with me his hunting trip to Africa on one of my visits to see you. He told me that he had no doubt about how the Model 8 would perform on the African animals that he was hunting. It would have been great to have known these other gentlemen and the hunting stories they could have shared with other Remington Model 8 & 81 owners?

I can certainly understand why Barton Hepburn liked having the advantage of additional four rounds in the magazine just in case the first shot did not find its mark. I have the distinct impression that Mr. Hepburn would not have needed the extra rounds very often.

Thank you for taking the time to research and creating the article for the Forum.

Kindest Personal Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Thank you for the kind words Jack! I actually talked to Marc yesterday and we revisited his 2008 Namibia trip. He said he also shot a Kudu and a jackal with the Model 8 in 35Rem. None of the PH's had ever seen a Model 8 before, but one said a distant relative in South Africa had an FN 1900.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Thank you Cam for writing and posting the Model 8 in Africa article. Very interesting. Without a doubt IMO the 35 Remington with the right shot placement and effective distance could drop most African game. Well written article.
81police wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:09 am Thanks John, maybe i'll write a follow-up, "Big Enough for the Biggest Game II: The Remington Autoloading Rifle in North America" :D :shock: :lol:

Ya please do it--I'll be sitting on the edge of my computer desk chair waiting. Would be a good article. :D Roger
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Cameron,
I finally got time to read your new article,and I’m really impressed with your work on it. It was very engaging and well organized and executed. I knew nothing about the safaris other than Teddy’s. It’s quite interesting to me that the 35 Remington was so effective on so many species. Having killed several Iowa deer and watching my middle son do so with 35 Remington, I shouldn’t have been surprised. Whitetail deer are extremely tough animals. Congratulations on a great addition to our website.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com