Model 10 shotgun folks: it's question time!

Other great Remington rifles
Adam Lee

Model 10 shotgun folks: it's question time!

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey guys!

Well, I have a moment to toss out a "help question" before I get back to class (my 6th graders are finishing lunch), so here goes.

Can anyone at all - I know Joe's got Model 10 shotgun experience - with working knowledge of Model 10 shotty's reply back to this note?

I am new to an old 1912 model 10, it won't "unlock", and I am considering a variety of options to get this gun apart - prior to using a blowtorch!

OK gotta get my students - thank goodness this is the ONE "firearms" site that gets past my school network restrictions!!! :mrgreen:

thanks in advance - Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Re: Model 10 shotgun folks: it's question time!

Post by Sarge756 »

Adam not sure what you mean by "unlock".If it is the action then the part that could be broken or failing is the action bar lock. Depressing the action bar lock button on right side of receiver actuates it and allows the action to open. If it is the takedown procedure you are referring to.... the fold out lock at front of magazine is rotated outward..the magazine is rotated to free it from receiver and pulled forward and the pump forend is pushed forward to clear the action bar then the barrel is rotated to free it. Take a look at below link.
Joe

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rem ... F88216557F
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Joe,

It's a bit complicated. I think the leaf spring on top of the bolt body is broken, bent, or kaflooey. What is happening, is that no matter what I do in terms of the button release, the action arm that mates with the bolt body does not allow the action to lock OR unlock - it only moves a tiny bit - and believe me, I've tried.

I think what may have happened is the leaf spring (I know it isn't the right term but I'm rushing, cuz I wanna get the heck out of school and go home!) is preventing anything from happening. My idea is to perhaps use the old "credit card" trick - like how we used to open and unlock doors in the day - to slip something behind the action "channel" above the bolt body, and persuade the leaf spring to yield - does this make any sense?

I am going to have to get back with pictures, I absolutely must.

Thanks for your initial thoughts, Joe!!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

5 second update:

I got the bolt to unlock, open - but the dang action arm that keys into the bolt body will not come free!

At least I know there is hope. Bolt looks OK, even though I can't remove it due to its being attached to the pump handle, the only broken stuff so far appears to be the release button stuff - I know it's vague, I am trying to cook dinner, and my wife is about to crack on me for being on the computer - so gimme a break!

Might get some pics tomorrow, we'll see!

Happy Saturday!

Adam
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Adam,
Suspected the broken parts you found.I checked with Numrich and it shows the button and action bar lock 'sold out'. Probably gonna take some searching.I`ll be on the lookout.
Joe
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Sarge756 wrote:Adam,
Suspected the broken parts you found.I checked with Numrich and it shows the button and action bar lock 'sold out'. Probably gonna take some searching.I`ll be on the lookout.
Joe
Joe,

Thanks for checking back in on this. I doubt that any of these parts are going to be available via the usual favorite parts suppliers - most likely, it will be that eBay, Gunbroker, and the used parts guys at gun shows etc. are my best bet. That's fine with me - it is a "project" after all!

On another tangent....

My wife and I are headed out towards Shepherdstown, West-by-God Virginia later this morning to meet up with my parents for a belated wedding anniversary/50th birthday lunch at the Bavarian Inn. For someone as "into" German traditional cooking and foods as myself, I begin to drool at the mere mention of Bavarian cuisine - can't wait for the buffet!

Joe, at some point the Model 10 as it is will be photographed and posted. It is in pretty darn nice shape, bolt/action bar lock notwithstanding. Bore is real nice, and the wood chip is just that - a chipped area - that will be an easier fix.

Adam
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Got it apart - finally!

Sear and sear pin are broken, and that's all I see so far. Action bar lock assembly functions, doesn't look bad (yet). Not yet cleaned or separated bolt parts, that's next - I'm stoked. It looks like it needs just a bit of TLC and it's back together again - for a 1912 Model 10!

Adam
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

OK Adam, Those are sold out too. Search begins!!!
Joe
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Sarge756 wrote:OK Adam, Those are sold out too. Search begins!!!
Joe
That's the fun part, isn't it, after all? This upcoming weekend will be spent on bolt disassembly, photography, and project planning. If 'yall know me by now, you probably know how much I enjoy THIS part of any gun project. Already, the condition relative to the age of this Model 10 pump is very good, which encourages me a great deal. Plus, it does appear that perhaps to the broken sear and possibly a few weak springs this gun may have been left alone for very many years. That may be why it is in relatively good shape overall, in terms of blue finish and the furniture.
Since I have also acquired a second barrel/pump assembly in the interim, I will be stripping that "front half" down to its component parts as well. This setup will be the one that will get shortened to "riot" length, and sight bead relocated. Looking at the Army TM9-285 from WW2, I think I will also drill and tap the mag tube end "block" for a pair of screws to mount a sling loop as done on the military guns.

OK, that's all I got time for. Another day in grade 6 calls - can't wait for June 25th! Darn late for my tastes - school should get out sooner!

Adam