Some FN1900s

canuck

Some FN1900s

Post by canuck »

Its been too quiet for too long in this sub-forum so I thought I'd show off my latest, and nicest so far, addition to the accumulation.
This rifle is what I consider to be one step back from being "mint".
Pretty happy to have snagged it...

More pictures here....

https://imgur.com/a/SSt1fLb
canuck

Re: Some FN1900s

Post by canuck »

And since I am sitting being lazy, I may as well show the rest ;)

more...
https://imgur.com/a/BaWHXEN
canuck

Post by canuck »

canuck

Post by canuck »

canuck

Post by canuck »

canuck

Post by canuck »

canuck

Post by canuck »

I apologize for the poor photos, I really need to set up a photo area with proper background and lighting some day.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey canuck,

Glad you shared pictures of your FN’s. It never gets old seeing the FN 1900’s. The newest addition is a real beautiful rifle and the pictures reflect the condition. The wood looks perfect as well as the metal. It even has a complete bolt handle!

These rifles are becoming more rare every day. I am going to pass on the challenge that was given to me by our deceased member “sighthound”. He was a real friend and loved the FN’s. I think I had six FN’s at the time he told me I should try and get an even dozen of these rifles. I took his challenge and unfortunately he passed away before I could tell him that I met his challenge. I would like to say that I stopped at 12, but “packmule”, also a member, tempted me with the opportunity to get one more, so the “Dirty Dozen Plus One” was named. Jackitis was working on me at the time so I couldn’t refuse the chance to add another rifle to the collection.

I haven’t purchased any more FN’s after I bought the Daniel Fraiser customized cased FN. That made number 16 FN’s. I didn’t think I could top that acquisition so I stopped actively searching for them. I still watch for them on some of the auctions but most are not in good condition like the one you just received. I could be tempted if the right opportunity presented itself.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures. It was great to see them

Kindest Personal Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

seeing ONE FN is such a treat as they're exceedingly rare as Jack mentioned...but seeing a COLLECTION of them is very impressive. Thank you for taking the time to compile the posts and photos for us to enjoy.

A few updated FN database metrics which include all your posted rifles...

131 rifles recorded (which means Jack owns roughly 12% of all recorded rifles haha!)
33 rifles do not have barrel ribs (25%)
66 rifles located in the USA (50%)
29 rifles located in Canada (22%)

lowest serial number recorded is 5, highest is 4893
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Very sweet collection of the Belgian beauties.

I believe that's 2 of each type with & without rib correct?

One of these days I'll get my hands on one! They sure are hard to come by.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Thanks for sharing the photos. I enjoyed drooling over them.
ranman

Post by ranman »

Awesome collection of FNs, always a good day when looking at springpoles!
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

What a beautiful collection !! Congratulations !! John Taylor
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, Your latest addition is a true holy grail for us collectors of M8@81 rifles. I was lucky enough to get one FN1900 a few years ago. But your collection is a great one. Here in Iowa, I’ve never even seen one other than the one I have. You are very lucky to have found so many of them. Congratulations on a truly wonderful collection.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
iacopodf

Post by iacopodf »

Hi everyone, I'm Iacopo from Italy, I'm now on the forum, so scuse me for mistakes
I'm a firearms addicted, and now I would share with you my 2 FNs an model 8. I think is important give you the serial numbers of mine.

The first I found it was a D3653, with 2nd style forearm pattenr, and early FN butt-plate.
The second it was a 1719, with 1st style forearm pattern, and early FB butt-plate.
This secont gun has some interest aspetc to evidence. As you can see in the pictures, the operating hendle is hold with a simple nut, instead the right part. Then the rear sight, is made with 2 different leafs instead the ribaltable sight. Last but not least, on the top back of the reciever, ther is a mark, an address, mybe it seams an italian name E. Mazzoletti. The stranger aspect is that, those mark is not engreaved as friquently happen, but seams impressed in elevation with a stamp that operated from the inside to outside of the reciver.
I try to serch smt on the web about "Mazzoletti" so far with no results.
I hope the picts help you to determinate something new.

Regads in advance.
idf

Imagehttps://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&i ... &disp=safe[/img]
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&i ... &disp=safe

I hope to load correctly the picts
81police

Post by 81police »

Iacopo, welcome!!

Please email photos/pictures to my email and I can post them...

cat9x@hotmail.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
iacopodf

Post by iacopodf »

That's great ! Did it

thanks
idf
81police

Post by 81police »

Iacopo, thanks again for the photos and info. Here's some additional info and thoughts that I hope are helpful...

1. Congratulations on EXTREMELY rare rifles in Italy. Italian "springpoles"! Not a ton of Model 8's outside North America and your two FN's are now included in a known total of 4 in Italy. If you know if more please let us know! The four known FN rifles in Italy are; 1719, 2971, 3653, 3917

2. # 1719 - I love the custom express sights! The operating (charging) handle is missing it's bushing. That's why it looks different than your other FN. The markings "E. MAZZOLETTI" are intersting! The closest known relative of this rifle is #1714 in the USA

3. # 3653 - Beautiful FN. It has likely been reblued/refinished as the operating handle is incorrectly blued. It's closest relative is #3651 in Switzerland.

4. Including your 2 rifles, which are new to the FN database, we now have a total of 146 FN's recorded worldwide.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Italian springpoles!
Attachments
IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg (420.48 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
iacopodf

Post by iacopodf »

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I undersood my lucky whene I found the first FN and then the second, but, I didn't understand the right lucky if there are only 146 FN's knows wordwide.

#1719 : yes, is very nice the two leafs rear sight, for sure would it be an aftermarket modifications ? I thought the same about the charging handle missing the right nut. About the marking "Mazzoletti", in Europe, and in Italy as well, but I think also there overseas, to wrote the name of important gun shops that trade the guns in the golden age of hunt and so on.
But so far I didn't find nothing about this or other hypothesis. As I already said, the strang thing is that the mark, is not engreved.

#3653 : yes, it is refinisched and reblued. how the operating handle should be been ?
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Welcome to the forum.

You have 2 very cool 1900's!
canuck

Post by canuck »

Thanks for joining the forum and showing your FNs and 8
Pretty cool to see folks worldwide who are fans of these rifles.
Can you tell us a bit about private firearms ownership in Italy?
canuck

Post by canuck »

Very fortunate to have come across another FN1900 in superb condition so, of course, had to add it to the accumulation
Bore is like new, can't see any evidence of powder residue on the bolt face - I doubt this one has fired a box of rounds
Serial number 3049
Cheers!

More pictures here....

https://imgur.com/a/TvmFDLb
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

That is a sight to behold! Whether it's timing or luck finding one of them, especially in such condition is rarer than i can imagine.

Beautiful addition to the arsenal of 1900's!
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

A truly spectacular find! Congratulations on acquiring it.