Scope For A FN 1900 Found And Mounted

jack1653

Scope For A FN 1900 Found And Mounted

Post by jack1653 »

I want to extend a heartfelt “Thank You” to 81police for his assistance in getting the pictures re-sized and posted for me. I also want to acknowledge Joe Leatroptt, Sarge756, and his machinist, Joe Keefer, for their assistance and excellent work that contributed to the success of this project.

Several years ago I had purchased a FN 1900 that had come from a firearm dealer who had the rifle on consignment from the original owner who had brought it to the USA from Germany. The rifle had been customized and had a beautiful Monte Carlo stock. The receiver had been fitted with a Stoeger mounting bar which the owner said had been done at the FN factory in Belgium. Upon examination of the mount I could see that the mounting bar had the same embossing as the rib on the barrel of shroud of the rifle.

If you go to the link I have provided, you can read about the process I went through in trying to learn more about the mount and scope that may have been on the rifle. You can read threads from other members who provided pictures and advice about the scope and mount. I spent around 18 months searching the USA and Europe for the needed items to no avail. I contacted Griffin and Howe who said that they could fabricate the scope mount and rings but I felt the cost was way out of line so I declined their offer. I would still have to find a period correct scope and I had already searched reliable sources for scopes with no positive results. I decided at that time that I had a unique FN and put it in the safe with the other FN’s. This is the link to read about this FN: https://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety ... 2c1faa1bd1

Things got a little slow for me this summer because of a slow recovery from extensive neck surgery and fusion of 7 vertebrae. I was limited in doing a lot of normal activities so I was not doing a whole lot. I had been texting with a Forum member who was telling me of some of the catch up work that he was doing. I received some pictures from Joe (Sarge756). He shared pictures of restoration of handguns and rifles that he had done. The work was outstanding. One of the pictures prompted me to look through the Forum for the FN 1900 posting that I had made 12 years ago. When I read the thread I thought I might try a different approach to resolve the issues with that FN. I sent Joe a text asking if he remembered the customized FN 1900. I asked him if he would review the topic and give me some options to consider to get the rifle fitted for a mount and some options for “any” scope that I could put on the rifle.

That question was like saying “sic-em” to a possum dog! Joe was all over the question like white on rice and I started receiving all kinds of options and suggestions to consider. Since I did not have a good understanding of what was going to be required I suggested to Joe that he tell me the best option and I would follow his lead. That was what we agreed to do and Joe made the process from that point on very easy for me to do.

Not to over simplify the process to completion let me say my part was very easy. I had to buy the scope, which Joe had already found on Ebay. That was stroke of good luck and perfect timing. The picture of the listing from Ebay showed a bid of $246.50 with 8 bids received and 3 days remaining. I submitted my bid which was immediately countered so I waited a until the last day and bid again, again, and again. It was a real nail biter because Ebay does not have a time extension if a higher bid comes in. With 5 seconds left I won the auction just short of a thousand dollars. When i told Joe I had bought the scope he said I did good even if it was on the high end. I figured that I had been looking for 12 years and may not have another opportunity. The old “jackitis” had kicked in and I wasn’t going to be denied.

Joe was more excited than I was because it was period correct and had been made in Germany prior to World War I. This was the same time frame that the FN was manufactured. As it turned out the scope has a windage adjustment on it which was not available on most early vintage scopes. The rear ring is dovetailed and can move left or right with the screw and the smaller locking screw on the end of the mount. These two screws can be seen in the two closeup pictures that are included. This was only on the early mounts to make them compatible with scopes like this one. The Zielklein only had an elevation adjustment. It will take some experimenting to get it zeroed but Joe said it can be done. Joe said this windage adjustment was a real plus. The scope rings and bar are from Griffin & Howe. The scope was made by Carl Zeiss Jena and the model is Zielklein Nr.53871. The optics are very good and clear with a post reticle. Joe said he wanted to see how close in measurement and angles the rail is on the rifle to the Griffin & Howe rail. Joe said the existing rail length is shorter but didn’t think it would be an issue. I had sent Joe a picture with a machinist ruler on the rail before he had the receiver. Joe said he thought the the existing rail on the receiver could be modified to the correct width and angle, cutting the half moon notches for the locking levers and some spot bluing and the project would be done.

The next thing I had to do was send the rifle to Joe. When I inquired to Joe about getting the rifle to him, he told me to just send the receiver and I could save some dollars on shipping and wouldn’t have to worry about damage to the rest of the rifle. I disassembled the rifle and sent the insured package via the USPS. Since the package was insured it had to be signed for. The package was delivered on a Sunday and there was no one to sign for it so the good old USPS left the package on the neighbors mailbox across the street from Joe. Needless to say that caused some heartburn with Joe. Joe and I had a good chuckle from that incident.

Over the next several days, Joe sent me several pictures and texts about how the work was proceeding. I told Joe that it wasn’t necessary to run everything by me because I didn’t know what the process of milling involved and to do what he and the machinist thought needed to be done. I am sure that it made it easier for both of these excellent craftsman. The machinist told Joe he was concerned about the width of the mounting plate that was on the scope might interfere with the ejection of the spent cartridge. He told Joe that he would redesign a whole new plate. He said it would be made out of 6061 grade aluminum (same as used in AR receivers. He told Joe that after a multitude of measurements, milling, drilling, tapping and hand fitting the plate appeared from a solid bar of aluminum. It is a very solid mount and is easy to put on the mounting bar that is on the rifle which also had to be milled to accept the new dove-tailed plate.

When Joe got the work completed, he told me how good it looked and was very pleased with the finished product. I will let Joe tell you about the leather scope dust protector that protects the glass in the scope and what he did to restore the leather. The end result is difficult to see but I will tell you that you can not tell it is over a hundred years old! Joe said he would revise his estimate of the leather covers. He said the cover is in great condition and stamped with the name of the scope,“Zielklein”.

On Tuesday, September 13th, Joe sent me a text saying that the package was in the mail with expected delivery on September 17th. I made certain that I would be around the house to sign for the delivery so that it would not end up on the neighbor’s mailbox.

Most of the pictures are self explanatory. I am having some difficulty in adding comments below each picture but if there are any questions about what the picture is, please ask and I will be happy to provide an explanation.

This is the Stoeger mounting bar that was on the rifle when I purchased it. This bar had to be milled to accept the mounting bracket and rings.
This is the Stoeger mounting bar that was on the rifle when I purchased it. This bar had to be milled to accept the mounting bracket and rings.
CE3F331E-4AE8-4A19-A3C7-81BA1CFEA43B.jpeg (283.1 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
C96A0AF7-EC75-4C26-84E8-0A181E8FFCBC.jpeg
C96A0AF7-EC75-4C26-84E8-0A181E8FFCBC.jpeg (249.93 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
BAD4F698-49DF-4020-A259-3790E7D23FF1.jpeg
BAD4F698-49DF-4020-A259-3790E7D23FF1.jpeg (478.68 KiB) Viewed 3034 times

Sent from my iPad
Last edited by jack1653 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 15 times in total.
81police

Re: Scope For A FN 1900 Found And Mounted

Post by 81police »

more photos...
Attachments
IMG_1984.jpg
IMG_1984.jpg (620.32 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_1982.jpg
IMG_1982.jpg (415.48 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg (405.08 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

more photos...
Attachments
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg (318.82 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_1867.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg (338.4 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

more photos...
Attachments
68157834172__3A481100-9BAF-4CDD-A2D2-38FB4AB6BFDB.jpg
68157834172__3A481100-9BAF-4CDD-A2D2-38FB4AB6BFDB.jpg (324.01 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
68157831470__6362E9C1-1CF3-4425-8E1B-ABBEB067E1E7.jpg
68157831470__6362E9C1-1CF3-4425-8E1B-ABBEB067E1E7.jpg (305.27 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

more photos...
Attachments
IMG_0628.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg (358.29 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg (323.36 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg (334.6 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack, this project is very special. Getting a vintage, and super rare rifle, back to a near identical original configuration. I love the way it's mounted and the pre-war scope. That is a slick looking setup. The original owner must have been 1) wealthy, and 2) cherished this rifle. So glad it's in the hands of another owner who cherishes it equally! Thanks for the write up and photos friend. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :o :o :D :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

What a great opportunity to assist Jack with scratching an itch that had been bugging him for years. A small payback to someone that has done so much for all of us here. It was fun finding a proper scope for this fine rifle and figuring how to get it mounted. My bud Joe is a wizard at solving problems and is a true perfectionist and craftsman. Have but one confession to make however. Joe had helped me with a restoration of a Model 14 in 32Rem just prior to Jack reaching out about the FN. We had used a G&H mount on it for a Texan scope and it worked perfect. I saw that with slight modification to the rail on the FN that the same type mount would work. Luck that the listing for the Zeiss Lieklien and a G&H side mount came up when it did .When everything arrived Joe and I got together and planned how to proceed. I was correct that only slight mods were necessary and I left everything with him to do in a few days. That night late at the bench reloading 32 Rem for the 14 the dim light in my head came on. OOPS! We had neglected to consider the empty brass being ejected straight up. Boy! Talk about a case of not seeing the forest for the trees !! Panic phone call and message left for Joe to not start work until we talked. Of course the next morning he hadnt seen the message and called to tell me it was ready. Had to explain that the little detail of the angle that the brass is ejected I forgot would be a problem. He started work on it again and came up with the plate design to offset the scope to clear the brass using a piece of 6061 grade aluminum the same as used for AR15 receivers. Result is strong and perfect. Can`t wait to see results of the range session. Wish I was up there on the farm again to take part.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

This is a great story of a collaborative effort to make this FN rifle the best it could be. Thank you for taking the time to share it. The people in this hobby, and on this website, are just fantastic. Well done, gentlemen!
81police

Post by 81police »

I really like the leather scope covers. The question is now, is Jack planning on shooting it????
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I do plan on shooting the rifle. I will be heading out to the farm when the weather is a little cooler. I have to see if I can get it zeroed in. I have a portable gun vise which will help with getting the sight zeroed in. The way that Joe had the scope mounted allows for using the iron sights. When I free hand the rifle to shoot using the scope I notice that my cheek does not make contact with the Monte Carlo stock. I told Joe that may be a problem with the recoil and will probably result in a hard recoil to the shoulder. I have to see if I can get the bullet on paper using the scope. The adjustment screws on the scope ary very small so it will be a challenge. I will not be hunting with this rifle in Illinois because of DNR restrictions.
canuck

Post by canuck »

Super cool Jack!
That was a very worthwhile endeavor
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Sweet looking FN, great work done all around! Good job networking and sourcing what was needed in getting it back to dual sight shooting status.

I keep perusing the 1900 section here and there waiting for the day I can find the right one to make my own.
Bullpupone

Post by Bullpupone »

Joe is a good guy and easy to work with. I purchased my 1927 Model 8 in 35 cal from him this past year, when I was on dialysis and awaiting for my kidney transplant (Covid sucks). I don't know if he used some of skills on it, or if it was just in great shape, but it looks real good and is accurate too.
BP-1
ranman

Post by ranman »

Awesome looking rig, shooting period correct optics on springpoles is loads of fun. Thanks for the background.
81police

Post by 81police »

A few pictures of Jack's latest setup...looking SLICK!!!
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (235.41 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (249.77 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (253.25 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

and 1st target...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (440.82 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I wish to Thank my ghost poster, 81police, for his continued assistance in getting my pictures resized and posted. I can tell the story but the old saying of “A picture is worth a 1000 words. I want to thank my Canadian colleagues and FN collectors for their encouraging words on this project. Comments from everybody are encouraging and keeps me thinking about other projects to consider.

I have another member who has become a collaborator and contributor to this FN 1900 project. I want to acknowledge Bob Pajtas of the “S and S HUNTCLUB” who provided the pictures of the sling that he was able to provide for me. I have known Bob for more than 12 years and the “S and S HUNTCLUB” was my first seller on Gun Broker. They have been great to do business with and are very honest in my dealings with them. I have called on Bob many times for his advice and he has always been encouraging. He has provided access to several rifles in my collection.

I contacted Bob on the advice of Cameron, 81police, to help me get information about a sling for the FN on this project. I wanted it to be period correct. Bob responded with a phone call to get more information and said he would check his inventory and get back to me. He indicated that he thought he had a sling that he took off of an early model 8 that would meet the criteria. My next correspondence from Bob came in an email with the above pictures to review. He was most certain that the sling was the period correct. One of the pictures shows Bob holding a tape measure showing the inside measurement of the swivel to be 7/8” which is the width of the leather on the sling. I told Bob that would work and he packaged it and sent it Priority Mail and I received it this past Thursday. When I received the sling it was in excellent condition and the leather was ver pliable showed no wear. The sling fit perfectly on the FN and there is a picture of the FN on my freeze with it’s new accessory.

The last picture that I want to comment on is for my buddy, Cameron, who had asked in an earlier reply “Is Jack planning on shooting it???? I don’t understand why he would ask that question when he knows that I will shoot anything, like The Police Models, the FSMR reproduction, the custom carbine with 15 shot magazine, model 8 E & F Grades and I let him shoot the my project rifles. It took him several rounds through the FSMR reproduction before he discovered the barrel nut was loose and the barrel was floating. But that is another story!!

I got to the farm on this past Saturday and took the FN to zero the scope. I stepped off 25 yards to see if I could put a shot in the target. The first shot was at 7 o’clock, the second was at 9 o’clock, the third was at 12 o’clock and the fourth was just off the center in the red.

I made no adjustment on the first shot. I put the post on the red center and let it fly. I moved the elevation up with the top adjustment for the second shot. I think I turned it one revolution and let the second shot fly. On the third shot I moved the windage to the right a half turn and let it fly. I had tried the windage in the shop and knew that if I turned the windage screw to the right the post would move to the left. I was going to stop with the third shot but I had to make certain it was not an accident so I let the fourth one fly. This was good enough for me. If I was going to hunt with it, I would zero it at 100 yards but that isn’t likely to happen in Illinois. High powered Rifles are not allowed for deer hunting in Illinois, but my muzzle loader Remington Ultra Mag 700 is zeroed at 300 yards and is leagal to hunt with. Go figure.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey Jack, Thanks for your kind words about our past dealings. It has always been a pleasure dealing with you and helping you build on your fine collection through the years. Although I wish I still had the 1906 Serial #59 Remington Model 8 in 35 REM, but I know it found a good home! Just teasing Jack. # 59 might have been one of our first dealings with each other many moons ago.

When you contacted me, I was happy to help with your current project and I'm happy the vintage sling worked out.

That is quite a story about getting that FN 1900 back to its former glory and it shows the willingness of other Remington Enthusiasts, to help each other with their dreams. Hat's off to everyone here that helped out on Jack's FN 1900 project.

Let's talk about Cam's efforts in helping others and his passion with this wonderful
Remington Model 8 and Model 81 site.

If anyone here has had the pleasure of dealing with Cam, they would know he is fantastic to work with and a true gentleman. Whether its helping with the history of these incredible rifles, updating this site, helping folks with posting pictures, responding to many emails/post's by fellow Remington Enthusiasts and supplying critical data on the super rare Remington rifles that have surfaced... Cam has been a huge help to me and many other's, and I appreciate him immensely.

This site is the "Tell All & Go To Place" for Remington Model 8's and 81's in my opinion and Cam is the "go to guy"!

Thanks Cam!!!

Take care everyone. Please help to get other's involved with the passion for these vintage rifles and happy hunting for the 8's, 81's and FN 1900's.

Enjoy life, Bob
S and S HUNTCLUB

Attachments
20220927_144338.jpg
20220927_144338.jpg (407.75 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Last edited by S and S HUNTCLUB on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Post by 81police »

jack1653 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:29 pm I don’t understand why he would ask that question when he knows that I will shoot anything
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So TRUE! Nothing is beyond a trigger pull in the realm of Jack! I love it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

S and S HUNTCLUB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:53 pm

This site is the "Tell All & Go To Place" for Remington Model 8's and 81's in my opinion and Cam is the "go to guy"!

Wow, super kind words my dear friend. It's funny you say that because I have many "go to guys" myself and YOU and JACK are amongst the top of the list with these rifles. This site is so blessed to have advanced collectors and experts on these rifles like y'all two that add so much. Blessings my friend!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator