My first model 81.. is it a Krieger conversion?

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
SavageGuy

My first model 81.. is it a Krieger conversion?

Post by SavageGuy »

Looking through some of your posts, it seems to have most of the characteristics of a Krieger except the magazine release button differs,

Any input? I'm an absolute newbie to these.. mostly like old Savage rifles, but always wanted one of these in 300 Savage. I won't have it in hand for another week or two, have to wait for it to be shipped.

81police

Re: My first model 81.. is it a Krieger conversion?

Post by 81police »

I'm 50/50 on it. You're spot on with your observations. Perhaps more telling will be removing the magazine and seeing how it has been modified might be the telling factor.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
SavageGuy

Post by SavageGuy »

I was thinking that too.. I don't have a picture of the magazine at the moment, but when I get the rifle in hand I'll post some up. I love a good mystery. :D
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

I would have to say yes it is for three reasons.
First there is the typical extra screw on the left side of receiver that keeps the barrel lock from falling out with mag removed.
Second there is also a screw added under the safety lever to keep it from over traveling when taking safety off. Non Krieger’s have a stop screw in the mag for this purpose.
Third is the mag release button on bottom of trigger guard.

My Krieger has a safety lever travel stop added to inside of receiver.
SavageGuy

Post by SavageGuy »

Well, I have the magazine. To thius uneducated eye.. I'm thinking it's a Krieger??

Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey there, was wondering if you had posted any other detail photos of your removable magazine Model 81. Thanks!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I must jump in here, as I too am the proud owner of a NOT Krieger. It's a 32R and the button works backward from the the K models. Plus I had a real Krieger mag one time & it did not fit, though it is possible the spares were matched to a rifle. The extra screw on the left is also present. While not a pristine example, possibly one of a kind, the rifle is clean, @ 95%, & groups @ 2-3" at a hundred. She's a nice old Lady worthy of respect 8-) . I think some of my early posts have Pics of this one.... :mrgreen:
Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY