Reloading Model 8 in 30 Remington.

Posts about the Model 8
ElkSlayer

Reloading Model 8 in 30 Remington.

Post by ElkSlayer »

Reloading the 30 Remington for both a model 8 and 14... My #1 question is if I neck down 32 Remington brass, will I have to ream the neck? Secondly, who makes a good, old school, round nose bullet today?

Thanks,
Jim
Hcompton79

Re: Reloading Model 8 in 30 Remington.

Post by Hcompton79 »

In my experience using Graf's .32 Remington brass to load .30 Remington, you do not need to ream the necks. However, I do find it helps to anneal the necks after resizing, as the Graf's brass tends to be on the more brittle side, and resizing it work hardens it further.

The Hornady 3035 (150gr) and 3075 (180gr) are the only jacketed round nose .308 bullets that I am aware of in current production. PPU also manufactures a 170gr flat point for .30-30 that works well in the .30 Remington. Since the Model 8/81 uses a box magazine, you can also use spitzer bullets if you so choose, but I understand wanting to match historical loadings.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Hawk bullets make round nose .308 bullets, but they are expensive hunting bullets.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I am not trying to highjack the thread, but is probably worth noting that Hawk Bullets also make a 170 gr. bullet specifically for .32 Remington, and also 35 caliber bullets. So if you want to hunt with your springpole, these high end bullets might be just the thing.

I asked for, and received, some of the 35 bullets as a Christmas gift. I have not loaded them, I thought that I would wait until fall and work up a hunting load. If I can remember to do so, I will try to report back on the bullets accuracy and if lucky enough to harvest a deer, the terminal performance.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Hawk Bullets
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Why not use Graf's .30 Remington brass.
The Hornady bullets are too long for the Model 14 but work just fine in the Model 8.
The Speer bullet will work.
KEN