Mysterious Model 8

Posts about the Model 8
Hibby83

Mysterious Model 8

Post by Hibby83 »

My first 30 Remington chambered Model 8 has always made me wonder the story behind it. I have my own conclusions but can't be sure if I'm correct or not.

It's serial # is 60,xxx, the wood fit, blue contrast and serial numbers all match up. Where it gets odd is the roll stamping on the barrel shroud. The stamping is what should be on a Model 81 and there is no date code present. The boss for mounting the forearm appears as any other Model 8 I own. It's one of my cleanest Model 8's, it sports a full line up of Marbles sights "tang, rear and #6 front". EDIT- in case it wasn't clear. "This gun sports the appropriate forearm that a Model 8 should".

My assumptions.
#1- That it was a factory repair that slipped by the gentleman that was to stamp the date code.
#2- A enthusiast/collector swapped a barrel assembly out and did a hell of a job "or contracted a gunsmith" getting the appropriate Model 8 forearm boss fixed as it's supposed to be and look factory.
#3- ...

Enjoy your weekend!

I included a photo of the front sight for something to look at. I don't believe photo's of the boss would benefit the post, it honestly appears factory.
Attachments
888.JPG
888.JPG (38.82 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
81police

Re: Mysterious Model 8

Post by 81police »

your 2 assumptions both sound plausible!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator