My second auto loader coming soon

Posts about the Model 8
canuck

Re: My second auto loader coming soon

Post by canuck »

Nice story, nothing like family creating their own heirlooms - your grandson is a lucky fellow
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Sorry to hear about your loss.

That is a great example of firearms being passed down through the family. I bet they'll be treasured for many more years to come.

If you don't mind post a photo or two of those fine autoloaders.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

That is a great story. Keeping them in the family is as it should be.

Maybe get your grandson a copy of Henwood's book. That will get him hooked for sure!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, I’m also glad about your heirloom rifles. I too have some of my Grandfather’s and Father’s guns. They will be passed down to my 3 sons and three grandchildren. Good luck to you and yours.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

I had trouble loading pictures at first but found out how to shrink them to medium size before I down load them. Problem is they aren't real close ups at medium size. I hope you figure it out I would like to see your new toys !! Good luck ! John Taylor
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

What a good looking pair of autoloaders!

Nice job managing the photo sizing. I still struggle with it at times.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Yes, those are two nice ones for sure!
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Hello Tony.

The picture showing the bottom of the barrel shrouds. That screw was introduced during 1920's "approximately". It was so you could mount a stud or loop for a sling attachment.

The picture showing the top of the the bolt carrier.
The one on the right is showing a defect that happens to some of our 8's & 81's bolt carrier. The machined cutouts for the the extractor to ride will sometimes splinter or break away. I've been told that it's ok and also told it's not ok to fire in such condition. I imigine " my opinion" that if fired, it could lead to damaging the extractor. It could also have more metal break away and possibly get into other moving parts that you dont want.

Personally, I own 2 model 8's that had that happen. I replaced the bolt carrier on each.
Bill in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tony, I sure love the butt stock on the .32. What a blessing to have two Model 8s with family heritage.
Bill in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tony, I wish you every bit of good luck on your elk hunt. I am sure that .35 Remington will do a fine job and in great fashion. An Oregon friend took a meat elk with his Remington Model 14 in.35 Rem a couple of years back.
I don't know if you use Facebook, but there is a wonderful community of souls attempting to recreate camping, hunting and fishing as it was done in the period before and after WWI. When I recently posted photos of my Model 8 in .30 Remington, the crowd went wild.
The page is "Early 20th Century Sportsman, 1890-1930." The administrator is so serious about this that he drives a 1922 Hudson ... 8-)