Model 8 Premier Grade

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
yooper

Model 8 Premier Grade

Post by yooper »

Here is a well preserved Model 8
Attachments
Top Receiver.JPG
Top Receiver.JPG (74.84 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
L Reciever.JPG
L Reciever.JPG (120.88 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
R Reciever.JPG
R Reciever.JPG (103.86 KiB) Viewed 7701 times
81police

Re: Model 8 Premier Grade

Post by 81police »

That is a beautiful rifle!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey yooper,

What a beauty! These high grade rifles are really impressive. It is too bad that we don't see more of them. Can you share the story behind the Grade F? Thank you for sharing the pictures of your rifle.

jack1653
yooper

Post by yooper »

Well, here's what I have, I have a letter that came with the rifle from the Grandaughter of a Mr E.G. Kingsford. E.G.'s wife, Minnie, was a first cousin to Henry Ford. The letter states that Henry was at the Remington Plant when he saw one like this being prepaired for Teddy Roosevelt, Henry ordered one for him, and one for Mr Kingsford. Mr Kingsford was the distributer for Ford cars, the Model T at that time, for the entire Upper Peninsula of Michigan. He lived in Iron Mountain Michigan. Mr Kingsford would also oversea the entire Ford operations in the Upper Peninsila for many years. The City of Kingsford was named after him, and this was where Kingsford Charcoal got its name and originated from. It is known locally that this gun was Mr Kingsfords. An acquantiance of mine bought this from the Granddaughter in the early 1960's. I do research at the Ford Archives in Dearborn now and then, and will be trying to verify this. Neat stuff !!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey yooper'

Wow!!! That is quite a history for that rifle. If only it could talk the tales it could tell. I for one really appreciate you taking the time to share the history. Too many of us have these rifles with little or no history. I wish that I could have the same kind of history on many of mine, but unfortunately, not many sellers know the story behind the guns they sell. Thanks a million for sharing the history. I wish you every success as you try to find out more about it.

Jack
yooper

Post by yooper »

Thanks Jack, I agree, the history is a fun part of this. The gun dates to 1909, just the idea that it survived in this condtion is something in itself. I have transcribed newspaper articles from here that mention Henry Ford coming to Iron Mountain in this time period and going "Hunting" with E.G. Kingsford. Thanks , Guy
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Way-cool. You guys are way out there - I'm eating it up, keep it coming.

Anyone else got stories about yours, how you got it, or how you have used yours? Even Noel's quest a couple years back to replace the family arms was a fun read.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
WesF

Post by WesF »

Amazing rifle! I've only seen two of the grade 6 guns, and neither were in as good condition as yours. Simply awesome gun!

Wes
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

What a beauty !!!! John Taylor