Barrel nut washer revival

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Rifleman

Barrel nut washer revival

Post by Rifleman »

Has anyone ever recut the grooves on a barrel nut washer. My 81 35 Remington washer has the grooves pretty worn and dull. The ones on the barrel nut are good. No idea why the nuts are sharp and the washers are worn. Possibly replaced by some unknown owner once upon a time. Recutting would possibly be possible I think but tedious. Anyone have an extra they'd want to sell? Impossible to find online by anyone selling 8/81 parts-see barrel nuts but no washers.
Rifleman

Re: Barrel nut washer revival

Post by Rifleman »

No thoughts????
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

I have used a triangle jeweler’s file to clean up groves.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Thank you for the response chas49'! Sometimes I wonder about this forum when honest questions are asked and there are alot of forum members with tons of info, experience, and expertise and no response is given. See alot of new members join, ask questions, nothing is responded too and ya never hear from them again. Anyway, off my soapbox!

Filing with a triangular file was my thoughts. I have course and fine sets of quality steel needle files, plus a set of diamond needle files that I could do it with. Figured the steel in the nut washer is high quality hard stuff. Was just wondering if anyone has ever done it and how it turned out. The nut grooves are sharp-curious if someone replaced the washer sometime, figure if one is worn, they both should be. Wonder if the nut wasn't tightened enough it caused some movement of the nut against the washer over time, but the nut grooves are probably 75-80%. Possibly both were worn at some point and an owner just replaced the nut as they couldn't get a washer. All kinds of possibilities. Have to start filing. My washer and nut are of the 40-fine groove style.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rifleman,

I can’t speak for others, but I often do not reply because the question has been asked before and most of the time an answer can be found by using the search feature that is available on this forum. I had been using the forum many years before becoming a member and had the same frustration that you mention. If the subject matter can’t be answered with the search try and send a private message to some of the more seasoned members.

It would be my opinion that the grooved washer is made from a softer steel than the barrel nut and that would explain why it is worn down. I wonder why the barrel nut was removed so many times as to cause the wearing down of the the washer as you describe. It might indicate there were other issues with the barrel. Another possible cause would be the failure to adequately tighten the barrel nut which could result in the washer turning when the rifle is fired. Been there, done that!!

Regards,

jack1653
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hear what yer sayin Jack. I did do a search before posting, but couldn't find any posts that zeroed in on my problem/question. There were some older posts about the nut and washer relationship, but nothing on anyone refiling the grooves. I look back on older posts and not to many years ago there was alot more response than there is now. I can understand guys getting older, some maybe not checking on the forum anymore, guys losing interest in 8/81's or shooting, but some of the old time forum members who are really knowledgeable about 8/81's still post. Just can't understand lack of giving views and information. Probably pee some of them off and will never get them to post on something I post in the future.

Jack, ref the washer being softer steel than the nut, suppose real possible. Maybe the Rem smiths did it that way so there'd be better meshing. Two steels of the same hardness may not have had the same meshing ability as one harder than the other. Ref someone not tightening the nut enough allowing the washer to spin---the washer has that little protrusion in the interior of itself and slids into the slot in the end of the barrel. The nut being allowed to spin 360* is what I figure tightens everything up, the washer being stable, not being able to turn. Unless I'm missing something. The 35 Rem Model 81 I have is a four digit 1938 model, so its possible over the last 83-84 years owners, maybe only one, disassembled alot. The 81 is in really good shape, both wood and metal, original finishes. Great bore. One never knows.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hello forum-Hope all is well with everyone. It's been awhile since I've been on the forum, but still a 8/81 lover. I'm still in the hunt for a 35 Rem barrel nut washer if anyone has one to sell or you happen to know where one is. Just spent 1/2 hour combing the web of every known site I'm aware of that may have one, even found a couple of new ones. Either out of stock or they had one and sold it in the last several months. Appreciate any help or if ya have one ya wanna part with. Rifleman
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rifleman,

Just read your posting about the 35 barrel washer. I would have thought there would be a source for them but so much for the thought. I will check my parts inventory tomorrow and see if I may have one. I don’t think the caliber would be an issue but I might be wrong. The barrels have the same external dimension so the washer size for all calibers should be the same. If I don’t have one in my parts inventory, I will take one from one of my excess rifles and get it off to you. I will trade you washers if you will send me the one you have if you agree. Let me know the notches on the barrel nut if they are fine or coarse.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Well hey Jack, that is a very nice offer. Blessings to you for your thought. Two of the online parts outfits list the 300 and 35 washers and barrel nut separate from the smaller calibers. Believe Numrich did also, but they changed their format a bit when showing parts of same models but different calibers and unable to tell there. Henwood in his book (page 60) writes of the difference in Model 81 barrel nuts and washers, as there are in Model 8 rifles.

Henwood writes that the 81 300 and 35 use a 1.08" in length nut (which mine is) with a internal diameter of 0.538-0.540 (mine is .538"). Henwood advises the 25,30, and 32 calibers all take a smaller internal diameter nut, but the external diameters are the same. Henwood didn't get real specific on barrel washer diameters but indicates that the 300 and 35 washers are larger than for the smaller calibers to mesh with the smaller nut dimensions. Advised that the teeth are of the fine (40 teeth per washer) and has only seen one 81 with the course (24) teeth. Mine is of the 40. Counted 1/4 of the washer and came up with 10 (x4) would be 40 ifin my Iowa school math taught me right back in the day.

Like I advised in my first post, the washer teeth are pretty well worn while the nut teeth are in great shape. Trading with you would be great if you want to, just advising my washer is like an old smooth mouth mare if you know anything about horses. If the teeth on whatever you have are good and show some depth and you can part with one I'd be very appreciative. Don't understand why but barrel nuts seem to be more plentiful on the web. Possibly what you advised in one of your earlier posts that the washer is of softer steel than wears faster. On my other two 81's the nut and washer teeth were of the same wear and not very much, but they are of late 40's DOB. If you do have something you'd want to trade, PM me with your address and I can send mine. Again thank you very much for the offer. Rifleman a/k/a Roger
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Roger,

Send me your email address and I will send you a picture of the washer.

My email address is: jack1653 @att.net
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Sent email with pics of washer I have.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hey Jack---Did you receive my email to you. Sent Fri the 22nd.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Roger,

I got the pictures and sent you an email with pictures of the washer I had. I never heard back and made the assumption that you were not interested in my offer to make a trade. I put my rifle back together and put it back in the safe. The emailaddress that I sent the picture to was: rogertrettin2017@yahoo.com. Is this correct?

Regards,

Jack
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Correct email, received email and pic of washer at 9:06 PM Central time and sent you back a response at (:46 PM. I never received an previous email from you. Checked my SPAM and nothing there either. Let me know if you didn't receive email from me this date. Roger
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Update on barrel nut washer seeking. Our 'jack1653' was kind enough to send me one he had. We did a trade. High fives and two thumbs up for Jack. Very nice and considerate of him. Thanks again Jack.