action & recoil spring length ?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Hibby83

action & recoil spring length ?

Post by Hibby83 »

Hello fellow enthusiasts.

Is there any info out there on what is the standard "good" length of either of these springs?

My only spare example of a recoil spring is 10 7/8 inches, the spring in the barrel assembly of my 35 rem that i recently had to replace a recoil spring case was approximately 9 3/8" . If it helps the cause i can mic. the diameter.

My only spare action spring is 13 1/8"

Henwoods book lists these springs are not interchangeable between calibers. I wonder what can be grouped together for one type of spring "small caliber group, big caliber group" ?

Reason for asking is for the sake of it to be known, it may also help troubleshooting a very seasoned "high round count" rifle.

Thanks.
Rifleman

Re: action & recoil spring length ?

Post by Rifleman »

Hibby-I currently have my 1938 81 Rem 35 Rem caliber broken down (action in receiver reassembled but removed action spring) so I measured both the recoil and action springs. Found the following:
Action Spring: 13 1/4" length----- 5/16" OD---- 3/8" ID

Recoil Spring: 10 1/2" length----- 3/4" OD------ 5/8" ID

Assume all is original, but no way to tell. I looked in Henwoods book and he does state on the pages 187-188 of what is interchangeable/not interchangeable that both springs are not interchangeable between calibers. In looking at old Remington parts lists in Henwooods book, the part lists do state that a person needs to state caliber, but in one of the last I assume put out by Remington on page 45 that states that the Model 81 is no longer in production it doesn't list much about the action spring, but indicates and has the same part number for recoil spring for the 35 Rem and 300 Savage. Also has a separate number for both the Rem 30 and 32.

Checked Numrich Arms and they list the same recoil spring for the 35 and 300, but no indication for other calibers. For the action spring Numrich just lists action spring with no reference to caliber. Noticed also the recoil spring cases are used/sold by caliber and not interchangeable according to Henwoods book. My 35 Rem case is 1 and 11/16" in length (hair under 1 3/4") and a bit over 3/4" ID. I measured with dial mic and layed along a ruler to get measurements. Conversion tables were within a hair. Most of what I've read about the 35 and 300 parts indicate they are interchangeable. Hope this helps your cause.
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

The action springs interchange between the 8/81 rifles and the Auto-5 and Remington 11 shotguns, to the extent that I have used an Auto-5 action spring to replace one in a Model 81. I do not believe there is any difference between action springs of different calibers.

The Browning Auto-5 service manual lists the free lengths of new springs in the gun. The action spring length of 13.25" can be applied to the 8/81 action spring as well. However, as the manual states, this is the measure of a new, unused spring. When put into use, the springs will take a set, and there is no set cutoff length for when the spring needs to be replaced.

The Recoil spring lengths between the 8/81 rifles and the shotguns have no correlation and are not interchangeable, so disregard that information.
Spring Free Lengths.jpg
Spring Free Lengths.jpg (116.47 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

thank to rifleman and Hcompton79 for the informitive reply!

i looked through my records and found that the spares i have were from a 300 savage.
Recoil spring
length- 10 7/8
o.d- 3/4
i.d-5/8

Action spring
length- 13 1/8
o.d- 3/8
i.d- 1/4

Some measurements weren't exact but within 10-20 thousandths, i figured there's no need using 64ths of an inch to explain.

I understand it may be menial, there can always be the random parts gun that someone purchased. They may be having issue with cycling rounds, perhaps this will help.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hibby83 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:24 pm Some measurements weren't exact but within 10-20 thousandths, i figured there's no need using 64ths of an inch to explain.
Hear ya there!!!!!!!!!!!! My digital micrometer readings were sometimes plus/minus the fraction I posted. Layed the mic alongside a ruler and posted the nearest 1/16", didn't want wacko 32nd's or 64's OR post numbers with readings in the 100th's or 1000's. Not a need to be right down to the precise measurement. I would guess and I think I read something about the 30,32, 35 and 300 were all in the same area for recoil and the needed resistance and force to operate the rifle's, it's the 25 Remington that is a little more finicky.