Broken Action Spring Tube, ideas for removal ?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
fowler1400

Broken Action Spring Tube, ideas for removal ?

Post by fowler1400 »

Picked up a project Model 8 and the action spring tube is broken off in the receiver hole. I read it is soldered in and has a fine thread. Anyone have any ideas on removing the broken tube piece inside ? Thanks for any help .
81police

Re: Broken Action Spring Tube, ideas for removal ?

Post by 81police »

as far as removal of a broken tube, perhaps someone more experienced can offer support...but yes the tube is threaded into the receiver (very fine threads)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

A couple of thoughts regarding the broken tube. How far down in the receiver is it broken off? If you can see it and it is close to the end you will have a better chance for removal of the broken piece. Soak it good with penetrating oil. If you can submerge the tube in a jar with the penetrating oil do so for a few days. You may have to sacrifice an old screwdriver to make a tool to extract th broken piece. A screwdriver with a tapered bit will do the trick. File or grind the edge of the taper to a "V" shape insert the screwdriver blade into the broken piece and when contact is made tap the screwdriver firmly enough to "cut" into the broken piece. Be very careful not to damage the threads in the receiver. Once you have tapped the screwdriver you should find that it has cut into the broken piece. You may then try to turn the screwdriver counter clock wise to remove the broken piece. You may have to make several attempts with this homemade easy-out but it will work. If you can't turn it by hand put a vice grip on the screw driver for more leverage. Good luck. It will work unles. It is rusted in place.

Regards,

jack1653
Ruffton612

Post by Ruffton612 »

I know this is an old post, but I found it while researching and trying to find a way to fix this issue on my own model 11. What surprisingly worked for me, and worked perfect with no modifications or damage to threads or gun, was to use a standard pair of friskas scissors to wedge into the broken piece, then rotated it counter clockwise until the piece came out no problem.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

For this type of problem I have found the left spiral EZ outs to be most effective. Rigid makes them, Proto, & others. Just DO NOT get the L Cheapo chinese steel or Harbor Freight brands, they are too brittle & will break off in the hole. A good T wrench like for taps is also mandatory for this job. Break one in the hole & you will learn the hard lesson to get it out along with the broke part.
I've had to change 2 myself.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Long Recoil

Post by Long Recoil »

I removed one by carefully cutting through it longitudinally making 2 cuts 180 degrees apart then pulling out the 2 halves. The tube had broken in such a way to proclude an easy out.

The threads were ok.
RugerMarksman

Post by RugerMarksman »

Long recoil how did you do this??? I am stuck trying to remove my broken spring tube! Frustrated as I could not find the right set of extractor at the stores. That's the only thing wrong with my pops old 12! Will be trying some of the advice above... soaking in penetration oil for now. Already have the new spring tube just need to remove the broken on uggh!
Long Recoil

Post by Long Recoil »

I used a triangle file to cut the spring tube longitudinally then 180 degrees away I did the same thing. If youre careful you can do it while only kissing the female threads. Once it is sectioned I used a sharp pick to pry a half up and out. Exceedingly great care must be taken to not damage the female threads. Its not a fun job.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

This is what i suggested:

https://smile.amazon.com/JUMBO-SCREW-EX ... 189&sr=8-3

Sorry for the "ad" but I've had better luck with this type, they are made for this exact purpose. Granted mine are proto, craftsman, or rigid MFG
Phyrbird
SOKY