New member in Kommifornia, not by choice

New Member Introductions
Rogerbutthead

New member in Kommifornia, not by choice

Post by Rogerbutthead »

Hello, I am a gun hoarder surrounded by anti-gunners in the Silicon Valley area.

Around 30 years ago, I got this Model 8 which looked worn and tired - with a whole 2 rounds of 35 Remington ammunition - so It got stuck in the back of one of my gun safes. Now that I am retired and bored, I decided to take it out and look at it. Here are some very bad pictures of it - admittedly I suck at photography.

ImageImageImageImage

Guessing a prior owner thought to add the swivel attachment at the end of the buttstock - not realizing that the front attachment is for field stripping only. Looking at the lack of brass available for it, guess I won't be shooting it much in the future either. Did pick up 15 more rounds stored in an old match box - but am hesitant to trust them. Will continue to look around for some factory ammo or some brass - did order some reloading equipment for this old caliber. I did watch the Forgotten Weapons video on Model 8's and saw Ian disassemble it - the many parts and pins did not thrill me with the prospect of losing some little item that will be hard to replace.

What can you tell me about this old timer - ?
Hibby83

Re: New member in Kommifornia, not by choice

Post by Hibby83 »

Welcome to the forum Butthead. :D

I have some family in the state you reside, they are not like the majority out there.

You came to the right place to kill your curiosity on this firearm.

Your rifle looks like it was manufactured after they put date codes on them. That means you should have a provision to have a sling stud/swivel on the barrel shroud. Your forearm screw appears to be missing the hoop “swivel”.

I can’t comment on the old ammo in the matchbox, but I’m sure you’ll find some loaded cartridges or get the components needed for reloading.

These rifles sure are fun to shoot. Remember to do good research before you go taking the rifle down. With the right tools and mindset taking these down completely isn’t too difficult.
Last edited by Hibby83 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogerbutthead

Post by Rogerbutthead »

It did have "o Y Y 3" on the barrel - which thanks to your forum - I understand to be made in July 1930 - Factory repaired also in 1930.

There is a "K Y" under these marks - which I am also curious about. Hopefully someone can tell me what they mean - ?
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Hey Roger B.

The repair date code "OYY3" from my understanding would breakdown as such.
O- July
YY- 1952
3- repair

The stamp below the repair code "your production date code" KY would put it at May of 1930 your rifle was stamped.
Rogerbutthead

Post by Rogerbutthead »

Thanks for the correction.
Rogerbutthead

Post by Rogerbutthead »

Can you tell from these very bad pictures - if these 35 Remington rounds are reloads or old factory lead rounds. The head stamp is "REM-UMC" "35 REM".

Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Good evening Roger B.

From the photos it appears they are cast bullets, not factory "my opinion".

One way to tell is checking the head stamps and see if they are all the same or some different.

If they are reloads I'd suggest pulling the bullets and reusing them with an appropriate load for the weight and bullet type. I personally wouldn't be shooting unknown reloads!
Rogerbutthead

Post by Rogerbutthead »

Thanks. They all have the same head stamp. The lead bullets make me think reloads too. Will wait until I get more brass and then dismantle these 15 - when I am ready to reload the rounds.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That serial is 66600?
The serial list puts it in 1932 so I guess it's not right (somehow)
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

admin wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:41 am That serial is 66600?
The serial list puts it in 1932 so I guess it's not right (somehow)
I had to relook at the photo and i believe it's 63,600 . I could be wrong.

I own a rifle that has a date code "PR' of June of 1924 yet the serial number "517xx" database puts it at the beginning of 1926.