possibly new run of hornady 35 remington

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Bitter

possibly new run of hornady 35 remington

Post by Bitter »

Went to my local big box sporting goods store for a new bag and noticed the ammo being restocked. I asked the fella if he had any 35 rem half jokingly. To my astonishment he said they just got in 15 boxes for the first time in 3 years. The price was outrageous, $47 a box, but I got a few and decided to eat rice and beans for the rest of the month.
Not sure if this is a new ammo run or what, for anyone looking as hard as I am you might want to check around Dunhams.
Sarge756

Re: possibly new run of hornady 35 remington

Post by Sarge756 »

Have seen several posts recently on a FB Group for 35Rem and other forums that 35 Rem Hornady ammo was becoming available through different venues. Prices from low 40`s to 50`s for 20 rounds with shipping extra if on line order. Your $47 a box local would seem to be in the ball park. There was recent discussion on the FB group of some quality control issues with this run of ammo. The neck rims on some are not squared. Not a concern for non-reloaders. Noted for those of us that do reload and miss the fun of scurrying around looking for retail ammo and bending over when found. The non squared rims not an issue for reloading as I trim cases to length after resisizing. Its not too late to put together the equipment and start reloading. To shoot the other calibers 25,30,and 32 Rem if you don`t reload you aint gonna do much shooting.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

I just wish Hornady or Speer would make some .358” bullets for the 35 again. Ive been burning up .357 158 gr hollow points to get by. They shoot decent enough. I’ve got a stash of Hornady flex tip ammo, but my only 35 is a 141 pump and they don’t like the pointy bullets. Jams in the tubular magazine.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Mike,
My stash getting depleted.Not finding anything in stock recently. Midsouth shooters supply has a Lee 6 cavity mold for 200 gr flatpoint .358. With the sizer and 1000 gas checks the cost just over $100. Might be an option.
Joe
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

I already have the mold and gas checks, just haven’t cast much lately. Maybe it’s time to fire up the lead pot again. My stash was of Lino is almost gone . Wheel weights too. Down to lead pipe. Yuck.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Mike,
Have some lino that my brother used for casting years ago. Guess with digital news etc that there wont be much call for lino anytime soon. Give it a few years and it will be on Fleabay as rare and collectable.The World keeps turning.
Joe
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Bitter wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:37 pm Went to my local big box sporting goods store for a new bag and noticed the ammo being restocked. I asked the fella if he had any 35 rem half jokingly. To my astonishment he said they just got in 15 boxes for the first time in 3 years. The price was outrageous, $47 a box, but I got a few and decided to eat rice and beans for the rest of the month.
Not sure if this is a new ammo run or what, for anyone looking as hard as I am you might want to check around Dunhams.
$47 for 20 rounds is why I reload. Have been doing so since 1976. Reload for every caliber I shoot, even cast for most. 22 LR the only exception. Paying $2.00 plus per round takes the fun out of shooting. I've read of some who buy one 20 round box a year, fire a few for sight in before hunting, then maybe shoot 1-4 before bagging game and call it good. If bagging game once a year is good enough, well good enough. In that sense doesn't pay I guess to invest alot in reloading and supplies. I like shooting year round and shooting alot, so I reload. Only way to go.
Sarge756 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:28 pm Mike,
My stash getting depleted.Not finding anything in stock recently. Midsouth shooters supply has a Lee 6 cavity mold for 200 gr flatpoint .358. With the sizer and 1000 gas checks the cost just over $100. Might be an option.
Joe
I had been looking at and even bidding on 81 35 Remington rifle's for several years. Never connected as I didn't find one to meet my condition requirements and/or what I'd pay for one, seems GI and GB bids always went to high. Last spring, I was bidding on several, but before winning a bid on one I was able to get 150 rds of new 35 Remington brass from the 24 Hr Campfire Classifieds at a very good price and bought the Lee 6 cavity 200 grain mold and set of dies from Midway to have when getting a 35 Rem. Wanted a two cavity but they were very scarce at the time. Did win and receive a 35 81 Rem on GB (very reasonable price and shape) so I was all set. Plenty of powder and primers on hand. If you enjoy shooting, reloading is the only way to go.
Bullpupone

Post by Bullpupone »

Sarge756 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:28 pm Mike,
Joe
Joe,

That sounds like a good plan and a great deal.

Owen
Mikeshoe72

Post by Mikeshoe72 »

For sure reloading is the only way to go. As the owner of 4 Remingtons in 30 and 2 in 32 Rem, it’s the only option. Thank goodness Hornady still makes bullets for the 32 Winchester Special, otherwise the 32 Remington would be way more difficult.
Catskill Tom

Post by Catskill Tom »

Why wouldn't they be loading it, with the prices that are being charged ?
Prices of all ammo (and everything else) has gone way up.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Have seen on a FB 35Remington Group post that there is Winchester 35Rem ammo with 200gr PowerPoints being offered at several outlets : Bass Pro, Cabela's etc. Yes, it is pricey @ $3+ a round.....Ouch ! Is what it is if you don't reload.
Joe