Another Great John Browning Design

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Sarge756

Another Great John Browning Design

Post by Sarge756 »

While I was helping Jack get a scope for his FN I finished a project that had been put aside for several years. The polish and blue were done 4 or 5 years ago and been waiting on me to do the wood. It is my favorite John Browning design shotgun, a Sears "Ranger" 16 gauge aka Stevens 520, This one was made about 1930. Got motivated to finish it when a friend gifted me a case of 16 ga shells. Dove season opens here soon.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2006 (3).jpg
IMG_2006 (3).jpg (92.26 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
520.jpg
520.jpg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
IMG_1999.jpg
IMG_1999.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Hibby83

Re: Another Great John Browning Design

Post by Hibby83 »

Very cool shotgun!

I have one in the same configuration myself, it's a Montgomery Wards Western field 16 gauge with the same safety.

At one point I had 2 12's, a 16 and a 20. I sold all but the 16. All were monty's, the one 12 and 20 were tang safety.

An old coworker had a early Stevens 520 that I sold mine to.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

We have one, Western Field 12 gauge.
A friend has a U. S. marked riot gun.

The Stevens 520 was basically discontinued but the Government had Stevens/Savage startup production again. The receivers are straight on top of the later production.

There is some commonality to pump shotguns, but not with this one.
KEN
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Ken,
You are correct about commonality !! As I said this one had been apart 4 or 5 years. Few photos I had taken when I disassembled it lost when hard drive fried . Learned lesson...print photos and keep a folder. No u tubes or print instructions found Schematics were for the 520A the slick top you spoke of.Finally found a schematic for it with list of parts and was able to figure out getting it back together with none left over.
The dating on this one of about 1930 came from info that this was when the diamond checkering pattern appeared, Original checkering was worn almost smooth so I recut it sticking with original patterns . Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."