Let's Get Technical!

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
outinthesticks

Let's Get Technical!

Post by outinthesticks »

I've been messing with these buggers for maybe 50 years now. So here is the thing I've never been able to figure out!
In my experience, every once in awhile, you come across one of these things that really shoot.
And I mean REALLY SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!
WHY???????????????
.300s-30s-35s doesn't seem to matter. With a good tight tang sight the 5 shot ragged hole gun at 50 yds. seems to pop up occasionally.
After building and shooting competition "gaspipes" for years, doesn't make sense!
Sarge talks about some cloverleafs, what about the rest of you.
Any Thoughts!
Sarge756

Re: Let's Get Technical!

Post by Sarge756 »

I don`t have a technical answer to your question. Sometimes you just get lucky. The two best Model 8 shooters I was fortunate to take care of for awhile now reside with MinnesotaDan and Bullpupone. I miss em and hope they are doing well in the frozen northland. Like you I`ve fiddled with rifles about the same length of time or more. Grew up shooting with an NRA Junior team. Learned early that it wasnt always the most expensive with the big name and reputation that counted. Shot and still have a Remington 513T that went up against 40x`s and 52 Winchesters with Olympic sights and more than held it`s own. Bagboy tips bought my first centerfire rifle, a Remington 742 chambered in 280 Rem. Several years later my brother, an expert rifleman, advised me to buy a quality bolt gun and put that automatic aside if I ever wanted to be able to hit anything. He had several SuperGrade Model 70`s and I invited him to bring his choice and I`d shoot the 742. Distance was 300 yards. His advice afterward was" Don`t ever sell that rifle". Like many 742`s the round count caught up with the soft receiver metal and it lived up to that "Jammamatic" title. Had put it aside for several years but always in search of a new project put together the needed parts and converted it to a 760 slide action. Hunted with it this season and it shoots just as good as it did when I didnt have to pump it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

There’s one maybe 2 of mine that could possibly meet this criteria. At the least, I feel they’re above average springpoles accuracy wise. I have not been messing with them very long at all compared to most on here.

Once the stronghold of winter breaks and we get some nicer days I’ll have to try those couple out at the cabin.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Perhaps this would get those tight groups? Haha

I merely placed the scope upon the rifle, there’s no extra holes in that rifle. This is just for kicks!

I updated my smallbore offhand rifle to a modern scope after pulling this old Litschert 12 power off. I just had to get a glimpse of a vintage 2’ long looking glass atop an old 8.
Attachments
893F3B60-ABC9-4280-B82A-EC9A218466F7.jpeg
893F3B60-ABC9-4280-B82A-EC9A218466F7.jpeg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
outinthesticks

Post by outinthesticks »

That photo is going DIRECTLY into my diary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

outinthesticks wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:52 am That photo is going DIRECTLY into my diary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The diary ehhh. I’ll take that as a compliment.

As far as the topic goes. I’ve heard some gents on here have good accuracy with cast bullets. I’ve yet to go/try that avenue.
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

I haven't purposely gone out "yet" to punch holes in paper and can't testify to the accuracy of my model 8 in .25, but, when I took it out for a couple of hunting trips I was amazed at the off hand accuracy with factory buckhorn sights. This was many years ago but on two separate occasions I took deer at about 50 yards in heavy cover. The only shots I had were head shots and my attitude was if I could make the shot, good deal, if not, no surprise. In both cases, dropped em in their tracks. This was in my youth and maybe young eyes and a little luck were in play, but it was nice. I ran out of the factory ammo that I had and retired the old girl until recently. I decided to get reloading dies, some brass that has become available, and work up some handloads but as said, I haven't got around to checking the accuracy. I think it still remembers how to do the job though, if pointed straight :D.
outinthesticks

Post by outinthesticks »

OK, I'm not advocating here that anyone go out and use a model 8 for benchrest competition and I am most certainly not going to start a business accurizing these "sausage stuffers" but I have wondered about the fact that the barrel design is such that it is supported at both ends i.e. the muzzle bushing and what might be referred to as a "floating" bolt rear lock up. Both of which contribute to mitigation of muzzle or barrel "flip". I am also cognizant of the fact that a 1/2 MOA @ 50 yds. does not automatically extrapolate into 1" MOA @ 100 yds. Bushing fit???????? Would be interesting to mic a hand full of these. We would also maybe want to consider only spitzer bullet profiles for this exercise. My best group was with a 300 Savage, 125 Sierra, case full of IMR 3031. .390 @ 100 yds. 5 shots, Scoped.
"E.D. forces one to focus upon "Loftier" pursuits!"
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Quite a few years ago we had some property in north central Florida and had an informal shooting range set up.
I shot a group of 4 shots almost touching and one flyer not too far off with dad's old model 8-C in .35 Remington.
Factory ammo as I didn't load the .35 back then.
KEN
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

As he stated, I am lucky enough to have that D Grade in 35 Rem from Sarge. In addition to being a beautiful rifle, it shoots exceptionally well. I have shot some nice groups with a cast load with 19 grains of 2400 and a 215 grain gas checked bullet. I have not tried any loads with a jacketed bullet yet, but I would be surprised if it did shoot even a bit better with a jacketed bullet.

It is still pretty cold up here, but when it warms up a bit, I will try a few jacketed bullet loads and report back-good or bad.