Barrel swap question ????

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
PremierGrade

Barrel swap question ????

Post by PremierGrade »

Will a 25 Remington marked 25-35 from a model 8 interchange with a 30 Remington barrel from a M 81 ?
9.3shooter

Re: Barrel swap question ????

Post by 9.3shooter »

I would think the swap could be made but then there is headspace to think about since you have a different bolt.
PremierGrade

Post by PremierGrade »

Headspace is not adjustable on the 8/81. The bolt face is the same for a 15 and a 30.
But I'm not sure the prize is worth the quest as my 81 30 is not a bad kicker and I doubt the 25 would do anything to improve the mundane accuracy.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Aye, but its not the same bolt and every bolt is just a little different.. probably not so much that it couldn't be dealt with via the sizing die one way or the other though.
Also though the rounds may share the same theoretical dimensions, that doesn't mean that the actual chamber(s) does. It might be doable but I would ask a smith.
As far as the accuracy goes, the .25 I have read is most likely to give the better accuracy. My own .25 shoots very well and is very enjoyable to shoot.
Keep us posted on progress. 8-)
PremierGrade

Post by PremierGrade »

Sorry to disagree, but 8s/81s were mass produce rifles with mass produced tolerances. 100% confident a 30 Rem bolt will work with a 25 Rem barrel or the opposite.
The buffer springs are different (some 25s just have a piece of wood, no spring).
I had a 25 and used resized 30 cases in it with no issues.
Absent any factory data to the contrary, I'm confident.

As for 25 "accuracy", 2 MOA was the best mine ever did and it was scoped.

My other 25, a M30 was a tack driver with many loads.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I used a .32 Remington barrel assembly in a Model 8 .30 Remington with no issues. Changing out the barrel assemblies at the range was more of a hassle then it was worth, then someone on eBay I was swapping messages with was in need of a .30 barrel assembly and I ended up selling him the .32.

These are not high pressure cartridges, chambers seem to be on the plus side, so I do not see any issue with a barrel assembly swap.
KEN
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

PremierGrade wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:18 pm Sorry to disagree, but 8s/81s were mass produce rifles with mass produced tolerances. 100% confident a 30 Rem bolt will work with a 25 Rem barrel or the opposite.
The buffer springs are different (some 25s just have a piece of wood, no spring).
I had a 25 and used resized 30 cases in it with no issues.
Absent any factory data to the contrary, I'm confident.

As for 25 "accuracy", 2 MOA was the best mine ever did and it was scoped.

My other 25, a M30 was a tack driver with many loads.
I guess my only other question might be is that if you are 100 percent confident in this, why ask the question?
PremierGrade

Post by PremierGrade »

Just to get your shorts twisted in a knot perhaps ?

Seriously, YOU brought up headspace and I refuted you.

Swapping barrels involves far more than headspace as I have found out from other members who are informed on the issues.

Out of grade school for 60+ years and still having to put up with hall monitors ! Chuckle :D ;) :lol:
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

No knots over here, maybe on your end.... :lol: :lol: :lol: