Round knobs and uncommon buttplates

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Hibby83

Round knobs and uncommon buttplates

Post by Hibby83 »

Yesterday I took a few photos of the 25 Rem for my friend John to reference. I then decided, why not get the group all together.

Left- 25 Rem
Middle 32 Rem
Right- 35 Rem
Attachments
received_766175275495622.jpeg
received_766175275495622.jpeg (427.17 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Roger

Re: Round knobs and uncommon buttplates

Post by Roger »

Hey Luke, what a beautiful group of round knobs and more scarce buttplates.
I have a 25 M8 with the top tang buttplate,but it’s a straight gripper. I’ve found that most of those are in a somewhat narrow serial number range. The other 2 types of buttplates I’ve never been lucky enough to acquire. I’ve sold so many of my collection now that it’s hard for me to remember all my round knobs. Our friend Minnesota Dan has a few of them though, I think. I just sold my last 25 round knob at Tulsa last November. Anyway, you can be very proud of your group.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Thanks Roger.

I feel that finding some of these was a stroke of timing and luck, likely more luck than anything! Short of networking in the collector community it's difficult to track the years/serial ranges certain variations were produced. Those are my only 3 round knobs. The collector in me looked at them when they were lined up and thought I should get a 30 Rem. to finish of the caliber set of round pistol grips.Hah

If memory serves me correctly, anymore you're "mostly" only on the hunt for C grades? Dan is a great guy to deal with!

Speaking of big gun shows, there's one in Ohio that I've been meaning to attend. Seeing the Wanenmacher's Tulsa show is on my bucket list. Likely best of me to consider going sooner than later.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Luke
Had one of the 25R with the top toe plate, shame it was degraded to "patina", it sold about 10 yr ago. BUT my curved military style is on a GrD with the Lyman 41AT sight.DROOL SLOBBER !! My 32R Not Kreiger has the bottom toe plate I think. The first M81 I got had a FUNKY white plastic grooved butt till the original fell out of the custom case that came with along with the brass 35 cal takedown cleaning rod. Talk about beginners luck :D I think the case is worth more than the rifle.
Since we came together on our project I have to say you have really surprised me with your luck finding the nice ones. Several I have got over the years have been big disappointments, often needed repairs, cracked lumber, "refurbished" finish. My compliments.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Phybird- I remember seeing pictures of your D grade, certainly a sweet one!!! Beginners luck is right on your first 81, I'm not sure if there was any photos on the page of it. The old takedown cases have eluded me. Trying to find one the appropriate length for our autoloaders is a trying experience.

Knocks on wood, for the luck to keep up! I have one on the way. It's coming from a man that is known to this community, I don't think he's ever been a member though.
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

That's a nice looking chair full of round knobs Luke !!!! I like the middle one the best with the shotgun style butt plate but there all beautiful guns !! I have a pretty darn nice looking round knob from 1914 in 35 rem with top tang butt plate on it's way as we speak but it will only be my second round knob. The other is a C grade that's a bit rough but it to has a top tang butt late on it !. Real nice group of old 8s Hibby !!!! Thanks for posting them. John Taylor
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Hey Luke,

That is a nice collection of round knobs. The rifles' conditions look great!

Dan
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Thanks fellas "Carl, John & Dan"

I had some competition on the 32 pictured above. Thankfully it didn't run outside my "range of funds." I think someone was being kind to me that day.

The 25 was technically my first Model 8. While it was shipping to my FFL, I found a good user 35 M8 at a gun show.

I knew the 25 was refinished when buying it. The kicker that pushed me to b.i.n was the loaded cartridges and the reloading components that came with it "approx. $300 worth." I had enough foresight, even though I was a newcomer to these,.that reloading for them was necessary.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Luke, I’m pretty sure you are right about going to the Tulsa gunshow. With Bidens new ruling,we may be headed for trouble. But no politics here on this forum. Just rest assured that you won’t be disappointed if you can get to the Tulsa show. There’s no way to really describe it to anyone, except that every gun person should go at least once.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

A pile of beautiful butts! (buttplates & buttstocks that is) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Thanks Cam, good one. :mrgreen:

One of these days I'd like to do a group photo of all the different Model 8 butt's. Best way would be atleast 2-3 different photo's.