can the Model 8/81 function without magazine indicator?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

can the Model 8/81 function without magazine indicator?

Post by Adam Lee »

As my title reads, I am wondering whether the magazine indicator assembly is absolutely essential to the cycling and function of the Model 8/81 rifle.
I am in possession of a Krieger-modified assembly, which has had the stud mount drilled and tapped so that it can be screw-mounted into the side of the receiver. However, the metal in the area where the flat spring slides in and press fits has been weakened and thinned excessively. A flat spring will no longer stay in place without spot welding or some similar fix.
My plan was to use a spare magazine indicator that was good, with well-mounted flat spring, and drill/tap the stud mount a-la Krieger style.
Until then, I just wanted to see this old gun function. That's why I wondered as to whether the assembly was really necessary.
I can also use the spare Model 8/81 indicator, and just not take the magazine out after firing. Then it will remain in place and not fall out.
Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Hcompton79

Re: can the Model 8/81 function without magazine indicator?

Post by Hcompton79 »

I believe what you are referring to as the magazine indicator is the bolt hold open, and then its tab which protrudes down from the left side of the receiver to release the bolt. The gun will function just fine without it, it just won't lock open on empty.

The spring also isn't strictly necessary for operation of the bolt hold open, it was added on in later production of the Remington model 8 to prevent the occasional bounce of the hold open locking the bolt back when there were still cartridges in the magazine.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thank you for answering my question. Yes, what they call "magazine indicator" in the schematics does act as a bolt hold-open, so I also thought it was not strictly necessary for function.

I appreciate the response!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey there Adam Lee, I’m glad to see you’re back on the forum. I too have been just watching a lot over the last few years. My excuse was that I was too busy to post anything. Well now that I’m retired,the only thing in my way of posting here is my own laziness! Because of my health issues, now, I’m unable to do a lot of the things that brought me pleasure in the past. Welcome back my old buddy.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Hey Roger!
Glad to hear from you. Yes, it has been a long time, hasn't it?

My problems in any of the hobbies (not really that many) that I enjoy are completely related to my amount of "free time" - which is not much! I still teach in elementary school; the past 5 years has been in Kindergarten which turns out to be my favorite. 5 and 6-year-olds just love to learn and have fun! All the other grades I taught, 1-6, were more and more resistant to taking chances and trying new things without tons of drama and too much reliance on technology. There's something about getting back to glue sticks, crayons, and crafting that just makes me happy to help in that age bracket. The parents have been much more appreciative of my efforts in this grade as well. The absolute worst grade I taught was 6th grade. Kids and parents absolutely tuned out, using devices, not fun. Anyway, that's my recent past!

So what I just got back in to the last year was fiddling with a mid-1945 Model 81 Krieger conversion, which I bought via Gunbroker maybe 12 years ago? I can't recall exactly, but the price was right even though it did not have a magazine. It needs the basic TLC of course, and a few unique parts that were broken or damaged, but now that I finally scored a vintage Krieger magazine I have been back to it. One thing I wanted to locate was a late .300 Savage barrel to replace the bulged original that this Krieger came to me with. It is unshootable, and my current plan was to temporarily swap front barrel assembly as a unit from my other late Model 81, a June 1948 job, which is in good condition with a barrel in nice shape.

You wouldn't happen to have a loose .300 Savage barrel would you? That's about the only thing on my list. I am considering locating a good .35 Remington barrel as well, just for flexibility.

I will check back! I hope we have some more time to chat in the future!

Be well.

Adam
Roger wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:40 am Hey there Adam Lee, I’m glad to see you’re back on the forum. I too have been just watching a lot over the last few years. My excuse was that I was too busy to post anything. Well now that I’m retired,the only thing in my way of posting here is my own laziness! Because of my health issues, now, I’m unable to do a lot of the things that brought me pleasure in the past. Welcome back my old buddy.
Roger
Roger

Post by Roger »

Adam,I don’t have any spare barrels that are 35 or 300. I do have some spare 30 Remington barrel assemblies. Sorry I can’t help you. I have several other parts though, so email me if you need something else. I might have it. My email address is in the address box below.
Good luck with your project
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thank you Roger - I appreciate your time and help! I will probably email you in the near future regarding some other Remington parts.
Be well!
Roger wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:17 am Adam,I don’t have any spare barrels that are 35 or 300. I do have some spare 30 Remington barrel assemblies. Sorry I can’t help you. I have several other parts though, so email me if you need something else. I might have it. My email address is in the address box below.
Good luck with your project
Roger