New Member from NY

New Member Introductions
35remfan

New Member from NY

Post by 35remfan »

Hello all,

New member here. What a cool community of like minded people with an appreciation for these great rifles! So saddened to hear of the closure of the historic Ilion plant which is only a few hours from my home. NY IS Remington country. Rural NY is NOT the toxic cities. There's a lot of good, freedom loving folk here. I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

I posted a topic in the Questions thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all and God Bless.
Attachments
IMG_5558.jpeg
IMG_5558.jpeg (251.36 KiB) Viewed 897 times
IMG_5557.jpeg
IMG_5557.jpeg (446.19 KiB) Viewed 897 times
MinnesotaDan

Re: New Member from NY

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here on these great rifles.
81police

Post by 81police »

a pile of repair codes! That's interesting!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
35remfan

Post by 35remfan »

MinnesotaDan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:22 pm Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here on these great rifles.
Thanks MinnesotaDan! I've already received a good amount of help and it's greatly appreciated. Living in such close proximity to the Ilion plant and being in the Adirondacks there are a good number of these rifles that turn up at the local gun shops. I'm trying to learn all that I can.
35remfan

Post by 35remfan »

81police wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:17 pm a pile of repair codes! That's interesting!
I thought so too. Cam, I reached out to you a few years ago regarding this rifle. You did reply but I lost our communications. I've recently had a renewed interest in these great rifles, hence why I joined the forum. I only have this one (1) Model 8 in my collection, in addition to the John Heywood book. I'm. doing my best to educate myself as I come across these rifles with some regularity. I live approximately 3 hours from Ilion in the Adirondacks so they're around. Thanks for welcoming me.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, welcome aboard. You’re very lucky to live in that beautiful part of the state. Being so close to the Remington factory, I’m sure that you do run across m8@81s with some regularity. Here in Iowa, you seldom see them at all. My collection was built up by buying them when I saw and could afford them. I agree with Cameron about the repair codes. Especially the two being so close together. I guess if you lived close to the plant, then you could take it directly to them. Even today,with deliveries happening 7 days a week, it would be hard to get repairs done that close together. Anyway, if you have questions,just ask. There are many experienced collectors here who will help you.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I'm a bit late in doing so but welcome from Iowa. Interesting rifle/codes. Hated seeing Remington announce the closure of its NY plant. As 'Roger' posted here in Iowa 8 and 81's aren't seen alot in shops or at gun shows. Many times the ones that are seen look pretty rough and have seen better days, but once in a while a gem can be found. They aren't rifles that are used for hunting deer and such in Iowa due to DNR rifle/caliber restrictions.

Once in a while living only 40 miles from the state border, I'll venture into Minnesota and attend southern Minnesota gun shows and they are seen a bit more. I bought my three 81 rifle collection via Gunbroker due to the lack of 8/81's in my area. I let a nice 81 300 Savage with a Lyman peep sight get away at a Minnesota gunshow a few years back as the seller was IMO asking to much. Went back the next day to try to deal with the seller and it had been sold. The seller advised he should have sold it to me as he took less at the end of the day but sold it for $25 less than I offered as he feared he couldn't sell it. Way its goes!! :(
35remfan

Post by 35remfan »

Rifleman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 am I'm a bit late in doing so but welcome from Iowa. Interesting rifle/codes. Hated seeing Remington announce the closure of its NY plant. As 'Roger' posted here in Iowa 8 and 81's aren't seen alot in shops or at gun shows. Many times the ones that are seen look pretty rough and have seen better days, but once in a while a gem can be found. They aren't rifles that are used for hunting deer and such in Iowa due to DNR rifle/caliber restrictions.

Once in a while living only 40 miles from the state border, I'll venture into Minnesota and attend southern Minnesota gun shows and they are seen a bit more. I bought my three 81 rifle collection via Gunbroker due to the lack of 8/81's in my area. I let a nice 81 300 Savage with a Lyman peep sight get away at a Minnesota gunshow a few years back as the seller was IMO asking to much. Went back the next day to try to deal with the seller and it had been sold. The seller advised he should have sold it to me as he took less at the end of the day but sold it for $25 less than I offered as he feared he couldn't sell it. Way its goes!! :(
I'm sorry you missed out on that one. 300 Savage is a great cartridge and a true classic. They are slowly starting to dry up here as well. Not to mention that New York State has made things extremely difficult for FFL holders. Gun shops are closing up left and right. It is truly saddening to see the closure of the Ilion plant. I wonder how much longer I can endure this state. If not for the Adirondacks I would have left long ago. Thanks for the message and sharing your story.