Well I messed up!

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
9.3shooter

Well I messed up!

Post by 9.3shooter »

Was putting the new to me .32 Rem back together and neglected to have a means of capture, and of course it all got loose from me and I lost the barrel nut washer. Heard it land somewhere but so far no sigh of it, typical.

I have a spare but I guess it must be for the .35 cal barrel, as its bigger in diameter on its inside and so the little tit wont stay in the notch on the barrel, just spins around.

So the one it came with was pretty badly beaten up, probably the wrong teeth count or just got loose and was spinning around, I dont know, but either way its gone. The teeth count on my barrel nut seems to be 25 if I counted correctly.

Can anyone provide any guidance or assistance in the way of a washer for me, or know where I can get one? I havent looked anywhere yet, thought I would ask here first.

Pretty bummed at the moment as I had hoped to get this out shooting in a few days.

TIA
Rifleman

Re: Well I messed up!

Post by Rifleman »

I bought an 81 35 Rem some time back that had the grooves on the barrel nut washer pretty worn down. The barrel nut had sharp grooves, not sure why that was, possibly some owner some time back of the 1938 made 81 lost original, replaced it, or as one member here posted, the washer had softer metal, possibly over the years it was worn down by repeated disassembly. Anyway, a nice guy here on the forum furnished me with one. Before that I was mad in the hunt on the internet at various places that sold gun parts, including for Rem 8/81's. What I did was did a search by just typing in 'Remington 8/81 parts for sale'. Quite a few pooped up and there were a few that did have the smaller nut washer for 25, 30, and 32 caliber 8/81's. Try that, if you can't find one for sale, post back and I'll see what I can find.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Yeah I spent quite a bit of time last night and today doing just that, no luck. Checked with several parts sellers, same, NADA.

I have a friend willing to try to make one, but would much rather have the actual part.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Swapped out the washer from my .25 cal rifle for now, so at least I can take it to the range, but for sure will need a washer so if anyone has one to spare let me know, can purchase or trade Rem 8/81 parts for it.

Hate having to rob parts off one gun to make another one work!! :oops:
81police

Post by 81police »

I know the feeling as I read your post. So sorry friend! I hope it turns up.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

I will probably stumble over it when it no longer matters, thats how things go, LOL