Manufacturing New Barrel Nut Washers - Preference

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
MrLupin

Manufacturing New Barrel Nut Washers - Preference

Post by MrLupin »

Hello all,

Like many on here, I had a need for a barrel nut washer (mine flew into the great unknown). I've noticed needing these is a recurring theme. I also noticed someone spoke of making new ones a couple years back, but nothing happened.

I CADded the washers for the small and large diameter guns. I'm running a batch of them, the only thing I'm not sure of is the grooving. My gun had a 25 tooth barrel nut. As I understand, there were 25 and 50 tooth nuts, is that correct?

Given that, I feel like I can get away with just cutting 50 grooves and having them work with both style of barrel nut. Does this sound right?

Either way, once I have them tested and proven out, I'll post a link to my site if you guys want.
canuck

Re: Manufacturing New Barrel Nut Washers - Preference

Post by canuck »

Please do!
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

I'd love to get some input on the groove number. I guess worst case I could cut fine grooves on one side and coarse on the other, but that would increase the amount of work substantially.

Does anyone agree that I could get away with just going with the fine tooth number?
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,I’m not a mechanical expert. But I don’t believe that this would work. There’s a reason JMBrowning designed it the way it is. And even if he didn’t design that particular piece, some one at Remington did.
Just the opinion of a retired remodeling contractor.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I've seen 2-3 of the bbl washers with stamped notches on both sides, they were some made that way. May even have one in a rifle still. It could have been traded though. Even got one with NO notches either side, a Blank???
There is no way of knowing at this date if they were factory or after market. In my early days on the site I may have seen them on Wisner's site, he did make several parts for our Ladies at one time, sadly I think that is past.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

According to Henwood, Model 8's had both fine (40) teeth groves and course (24) teeth groves. Model 81's for the most part have the 40 (fine) tooth grooves. He advised in his extensive research he had only seen one 81 (a very early model #42) with the 24-tooth washer/nut combination. When I counted my 1938 81's teeth, I just counted a quarter of it and multiplied by 4. I counted 10 3 times and 11 once, considered it a 40-tooth washer.
MrLupin

Post by MrLupin »

Thank you so much for your replies. I've got them made. I looked at a bunch of images and I'm confident I have a layout that ratchets on all types of barrel nuts. I made some in the small diameter (25, 30 cals), some in large diameter (81 and 35), and some in a proprietary diameter for a 7.62x39 conversion I'm working on. Should I make a post in the marketplace once I've got a link to the product listings on my site?