Different Disassembly Tool Idea

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
.300Rem81

Different Disassembly Tool Idea

Post by .300Rem81 »

Hello all, I'm posting to share a different barrel shroud disassembly tool idea with you guys. Before I begin, THIS IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK! I do not take any responsibility for any damage or injury that may occur when trying to attempt this! So, after a couple of failed attempts to create a more traditional style tool, I thought of something. If I could get the barrel out of the way, it would be much easier. So, with the barrel assembly separated from the receiver. I grabbed the barrel by the chamber end, pulled the barrel rearward, and secured it in the rearward position by tightly wrapping a large zip tie around the barrel. This causes the barrel to be out of the way on the muzzle end of the shroud when trying to remove the large threaded retainer nut with the 2 notches. I then took a flat metal plate, and ground it so that it would fit tightly in each notch. I basically ended up with something that resembled a Mossberg shotgun choke wrench. To get more leverage, I got a 3/8" bolt, cut a slot in the bottom, slid the flat plate in the notch, and using steady, even, downward pressure, I unthreaded the retainer nut with a ratchet and socket about until it was relatively loose (do not completely remove the retainer nut or you will be be looking for parts that go flying). I then cut the zip tie, and allowed the barrel to move forward. I then used a grinder to create a small tooth on the end of the top jaw on a pair of channel locks. I wrapped a rag around the barrel nut to avoid scratches, inserted the tooth into the pin hole, and unthreaded the barrel nut. After removing the barrel nut and barrel from the gun, I simply unthreaded the retainer nut and removed the barrel shroud internals with a rag over the muzzle end to catch the parts that are under tension. I know this method is more risky for scratches, requires cutting up a decent pair of channel locks, and involves relying on a zip tie to keep the barrel in place. But, it worked for me, and I hope that this can help someone on here in a pinch if they do not have the proper tool. Thanks everyone!