Year, value, info...

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Esox_Explorer

Year, value, info...

Post by Esox_Explorer »

I acquired my great grand father's model 8, at least I believe it to be a model 8. I am wanting to confirm the year it was made, value, and if the model 8's came with a matching cleaning rod. This one has a cleaning rod with a wood handle that looks to match the stock. The date code is circled R.P., which I believe is November 1923. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attachments
20230731_153158.jpg
20230731_153158.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Hibby83

Re: Year, value, info...

Post by Hibby83 »

Welcome to the forum E. explorer.

It appears your serial number falls into 1912 production. The RP isn't a date code "date codes are on left side", date codes weren't stamped until about 10 years after your gun was built.

Here's a link to a guide to figure out when your rifle was made.
https://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety ... age_id=450

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Condition, caliber and sights among other features determine value.

Hope the rifle gives your family another 111 years of service.ha
Esox_Explorer

Post by Esox_Explorer »

Thank you Hibby!! It is a .35. I think it is perfect condition. I know it still shoots straight. Open rifle sights. No modifications or aftermarket additions. All original.
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Nice Model 8 in 35 REM.
The fact that it belonged to your great grandfather, means the value is "PRICELESS" in my opinion. Enjoy life, Bob
Esox_Explorer

Post by Esox_Explorer »

I have no one to hand it down to, so keeping it in the family is not important.

My wife has become wheelchair bound because of medical issues and was informed by her employer while she was in the ICU that they deemed it impossible for her to do her job anymore, and let her go.

The money from selling the gun to someone who wishes to add it to their collection, and appreciate the gun, is what I could really use.

If anyone is able to provide a monetary value, that would be appreciated.
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

If your gun is in the 26000 range it is 1910-1911.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir , please don’t take offense. But I would need many good pictures to evaluate your heirloom rifle. My email is in the address box below if you would rather send them directly to me.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com