Operating Handle Bushing Removal

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
CDUBJR67

Operating Handle Bushing Removal

Post by CDUBJR67 »

Hi everyone. I’m new so please forgive any ignorance. Just got my first Model 8. Been wanting one a long time. Unfortunately I found it doesn’t fire and I’ve determined that the firing pin might be broken. When I went to take the bolt out I discovered that the top of the operating handle plunger is broken off and I can’t pull it up to release the bolt handle. Unless someone can give me a better idea, it seems I will need to unscrew the operating handle bushing. Can anyone tell me if there is a tool to do this? Or any other way? I am open to any ideas on this. Thank you.
Hibby83

Re: Operating Handle Bushing Removal

Post by Hibby83 »

Is there enough material to grab it with pliers?

This doesn’t happen to be the the one that just went on gunbroker?

Take your time and learn the procedures before you tear into it all. Lots of good info and knowledge here.
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

No sir there is nothing but a little bit of the plunger barely sticking up and I tried grabbing it with no luck. That’s what led me trying to go to Plan B of unscrewing the bushing. There has to be something out there to unscrew the bushing (the area inside the handle with the two little holes in it). I did buy this rifle on gunbroker about 9 days ago. She’s a beauty but then there is this.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

90 degreee snap ring pliers have done the trick for me, to snug the bushing.

I believe there's a plunger or 2 available between gunbroker & ebay.

Ok, congrats. You just won another one at auction yesterday?
Last edited by Hibby83 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

OK that is helpful. Let me play with this a little more and I might need your help again.

Yes, I did buy one yesterday. Honestly, I thought I was going to buy for a parts gun, but ended up paying way more than I wanted to. At this point, I may keep it and turn it into a functional rifle. I see that you were also bidding on it. Is there something in particular that you needed off of it in case I turn it into a parts gun?
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

When you say “plunger”, is that a specific tool?
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

Nevermimd on that last reply about plunger. Duh!
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

CDUBJR67 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:06 am OK that is helpful. Let me play with this a little more and I might need your help again.

Yes, I did buy one yesterday. Honestly, I thought I was going to buy for a parts gun, but ended up paying way more than I wanted to. At this point, I may keep it and turn it into a functional rifle. I see that you were also bidding on it. Is there something in particular that you needed off of it in case I turn it into a parts gun?
I was in the race as a parts gun also.
Considering current market, there's no dirt cheap 8's/81's anymore. It looks like a solid piece, aside from the barrel. Let me know, all depending on your plans with it, I may be interested in the barreled assembly. .

Ask away, if I can't answer or help, I'm sure that someone else should be able to.
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

Thank you Hibby and will do. I have to admit my wheels are turning on how to create some of these parts, such as the plunger. These things are becoming like hens teeth. I am not that adept at such things, but I am very determined when it comes to taking care of my old guns. There has to be some enterprising soul out there that knows how to do this. I’m going to give us some thought. And I’ll let you know what I decide with that gun.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I've checked out the usual places for parts and haven't found the plunger yet.

Incase you didn't see I recommend using 90 degre snap ring pliers for the bushing.
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

Yeah, it’s kind of scarce out there. If you see anything, please let me know.

Also, regarding the operating handle bushing, can you tell me if that unscrews in a counter clockwise fashion?
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

Yeah, it’s kind of scarce out there. If you see anything, please let me know.

Also, regarding the operating handle bushing, can you tell me if that unscrews in a counter clockwise fashion?
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I certainly will push a link your way once I find one.

The bushing is standard right hand thread "righty tighty, lefty loosey".
CDUBJR67

Post by CDUBJR67 »

Hey Hibby, you were spot on with the snap ring pliers. They got it loose. Thank you for all of your help. Also, I discovered that the plunger was a replacement that had been made out of a nail shaft with a small nut welded to it in the middle. That might explain why it didn’t have an end on it like it needed to. Seems that someone already got innovative. I’m trying to think through how to make one that would be better quality.