New FN Style Barrel Tool

Items for sale or trade
1913Model8

New FN Style Barrel Tool

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Guys,
Just adding this to the for sale or trade part of the form.
For those who are on the list thank you and thank you for your patients.
Just trying to get this out to as many people as possible for cost reasons too of course.
I am also looking to maybe make or buy wooden boxes for the tool and the parts for the tool for shipping and for storage.
If anyone is interested in the tool please PM me with your name to get on the list.
This is made to be an FN style tool for the purpose of wanting that specific style work tool, this will be a more spendy item than let's say a spanner style wrench that I have seen posed on there. The project is being done because the tool is extremely rare and it would be a great piece to go with your rifles that is also very functional as well as a cool talking piece.
Attached below is my rendering of the tool as well as a CAD image and the old photo ref of the FN tool.
The new tool with talking about how it will be made with my gunsmith as being stainless steel and polished. Otherwise, it will be a steel and Nitre Blued. If you are looking for a particular finish let me know asap. Unfortunately, Rust Bluing will not be an option as my gunsmith just doesn't have the time to do this method. Turnbull might be a path though?
The shaft that goes into the barrel to support the tool from rocking as you twist it will have a dowel that will spin freely as you turn so that the rifling and or barrel will not be marked up or damaged in any way. (reference a barrel remer tool)

Spread the word and enjoy and look forward to new names to the list.
Looking to get these made 2023 sometime.
Attachments
30 rem tool.jpeg
30 rem tool.jpeg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
FN tool design.jpg
FN tool design.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
fn-takedown-tool2.jpg
fn-takedown-tool2.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
Bandersnatch

Re: New FN Style Barrel Tool

Post by Bandersnatch »

How many shekels might one need for one of these?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Bandersnatch wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:14 pm How many shekels might one need for one of these?
Hi there, I am still working on getting that number out to you guys. Hang tight.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Any idea yet as to availability and price
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

chas1949 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:25 pm Any idea yet as to availability and price
Availability will come, price not sure yet haven't had time yet to look into it, Busy with spring chores around the house and cars etc. hang tight will be looking into it soon hopefully this week.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Guys, I will being ordering a 3D print of the tool body first for a test fitment to make sure the model is where it needs to be for machining. Hang tight as this should take long to get.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

chas1949 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:25 pm Any idea yet as to availability and price
need to know how many calibers you own?
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Guys,
So I have been working on more of the tool design.
The rod going into the barrel will probably be a common size with a 3D-printed nylon sleeve for rifling protection.
The Nylon sleeve will then be unique in spec to each Cal.
So right now with quick uploaded quotes online with a different manufacturer,
We are looking at about $250ish per tool. Not including multiple sleeves for multiple calipers, but that is only adding like 2 dollars for each sleeve abouts. Not including shipping to you either.
This is spec'd as 303 Stainless Lathe CNC for the body and shaft and handle. Possibly 3D printed Brass, or Aluminum, or SS for the nut that screws into the side of the body the grab the cap surrounding the barrel on the gun. Printed as it actually might be cheaper than machining it.
Common threading will be used.
Doing what I can to reduce costs still.
Also these can be lightly bead blasted too.
If we don't what the sleeve I am sure this will reduce the cost in the shaft going into the barrel.
Also, these are unfinished with light tooling marks for now.
I am working on putting a meeting together to see if I can get a package deal with all the parts etc.
the more tools wanted the better the cost gets.

So please let me know again asap who is still interested in these. I hope that the cost will still go down after getting a meeting together and seeing what can be done as a package.

It is a little more than I was hoping for but I do understand the time and setup etc. Things are more expensive than in the last few years since I started this idea.

Thanks for your patience and interest. I am really hoping to make this come to life for many people.

Quick update after writing this, Getting another quote from another place and it seems to be giving me a lower price possibly so hang tight on that as well. I will post soon again about what I find.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
LyingBastard

Post by LyingBastard »

I will put my name in the hat.

With that said, is there a minimum number that is required for the run? Is there a number that will drop the unit cost?
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

LyingBastard wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:38 pm I will put my name in the hat.

With that said, is there a minimum number that is required for the run? Is there a number that will drop the unit cost?
Awesome thanks for adding your name to the list!
Right now I have a guy a guy on the fence as he found a not so good problem with his model 8.
Right now every single one I can add drops the price quite a bit. So more the better for sure.
I have a goal price in my head per complete tool, but I can see that just isnt going to be.
I wanted it to be sub $200 but we are defiantly looking at $230 per complete tool.
I've simplified the tool as much as I can to work in all calibers while trying to keep the original intent of my design which is to replicate the
look and design of the mythical FN Tool.
So yes there are way many other cheaper options and design that can be made but that isn't really the goal.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Guys, Little teaser here with the exploded view and part numbers listed to it.
The logo I made also that could be laser engraved on the top of the tool. It's about $9 extra per tool main body to have it put on there.
Let me know if you all vote for that being put on there for extra money.
Attachments
ex 1.jpg
ex 1.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

I will go with the flow on the laser engraving either way is fine for me. So what will be the total for the tool with all caliber rods and laser engraving ?? John Taylor
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Well my first quote I can say is right around $300 but not more than $300, not including shipping.
This includes-
-handle
-body
-side screw lock
-common shaft
-Full set of pilots
-2x 2-56 screw (in case you lose one)
-2x washers for 2-56 screw (in case you lose one)
These will be extremely nicely machined tools. I am working with this place on now seeing what machining can be done to lower the cost even a tad more.(if some areas don't have to hold so tight) Keep your fingers crossed that it can go down to more like $260

I talked with my engineer I work with occasionally that is fantastic at what he does.
I read him these quotes and also ask him what materials he thought as well for cost but yet a good life service tool.
So on the image from the last post has the stainless-steel callouts etc.

He thought that this quote for 16 tools I received is actually really a good price!
I am not trying to make alot of money off of each tool even though I do have ALOT of time into developing it.
I really am just looking to do something for the community here and design something that once was, and seems to be a myth to us all except for a few photos. (Bigfoot basically) :lol:
I am still getting two other quotes but I am not sure that these quotes will actually be cheaper.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Sounds good to me ! Looking forward to it ! John Taylor
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

54bullseye wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:00 pm Sounds good to me ! Looking forward to it ! John Taylor
Thanks! now we have to get all the other guys here to agree to it!

-Hibby83
-Tand2cs - 2 tools
-Irish_32709
-Bullpupone
-Phyrbird
-CharlesMRussel
-Jack1653 - no longer interested
-Canuck
-Bandersnatch
-Lying Bastard
-Chas1949

I think someone else is looking to get 2 tools as well. Please spread the word and get as many people as possible to order
as it WILL lower cost and lock in the quote.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
canuck

Post by canuck »

Thanks for the PMs to prompt me to reply - I'm not visiting the site as often lately, too much to do while the weather is nice!

While I can appreciate why a quality, custom made tool would be a costly proposition, I think the price is getting to the territory where I may have to bow out - with the exchange between the greenback and the Kanadian ruble, plus cross border shipping, the final cost will probably be more than I can bear.

I will pay attention tho and make a decision when you have a firm final price.

Sorry
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

canuck wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:07 am Thanks for the PMs to prompt me to reply - I'm not visiting the site as often lately, too much to do while the weather is nice!

While I can appreciate why a quality, custom made tool would be a costly proposition, I think the price is getting to the territory where I may have to bow out - with the exchange between the greenback and the Kanadian ruble, plus cross border shipping, the final cost will probably be more than I can bear.

I will pay attention tho and make a decision when you have a firm final price.

Sorry
I understand. Thanks also for your info in the past, it helped a lot with the development!
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

HI Everyone,
Just was doing some thinking here on a compromise tool design for a barrel service tool.
I took what I have for the FN Tool and comped it to making it work with a 3/8 drive ratchet tool.
In simple Two parts will be made to make a complete tool. No shaft going into the barrel or pilots, etc.
Can anyone who has had the gun apart a few times tell me if this design looks like it would work well?
This would be very close too about $190 for the tool. (body and side lock screw)
Attachments
fn tool 2-2.jpeg
fn tool 2-2.jpeg (151.04 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
fn tool 2.jpeg
fn tool 2.jpeg (153.71 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
fn tool 2 clip.jpeg
fn tool 2 clip.jpeg (154.63 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Just ran some numbers on quotes for is the pilot shafts where aluminum 7075-T6, no common shaft, meaning one part to make a shaft for each cal.
so as everyone would get a set (25,30,32,35) the tool comes down to $250.
Does this help anyone out with decision making for ordering? This is for the FN tool design, not the compact one from above.
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com