Feeding issues

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Bill in Oregon

Feeding issues

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fired a total of just 10 rounds through the 1923 Model 8 in .30 Remington this afternoon -- one PC cast boolit round and nine rounds of the Hornady 160-grain FTX over 33 grains Leverevolution in resized Graf brass, CCI 200 primer. Wanted to see if the gun went boom and it did, BUT -- I had two failures to go fully into battery and one instance of the next round doing a somersault and landing pointing away from the chamber.
My first thought is that the 8 was never designed to feed cartridges with soft plastic tips. The other thought is that the rifle might not like LVR powder, but it is early days yet and I will give it some more room to stretch its legs.
chas1949

Re: Feeding issues

Post by chas1949 »

These where designed to use round nose ammo.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Ditto what chas said: Round nose ammo feeds more reliably.

As for the Leverevolution, I have had good results with it, but I have gone back to IMR 3031 for reloading all of the original Model 8/81 chambering. The reloading section in Henwood's book, suggests using Alliant 2400 for cast loads and IMR 3031 for jacketed bullets. I have used those combinations with very few malfunctions when utilizing round nose or flat point projectiles.

I did have success reloading 25 Rem. using a 117 gr. Barnes all copper Spitzer bullet that was left over from a failed 250 Savage experiment. The Savage did not like the longer bullet, but the Model 81 did. They shot well.

300 Savage is another matter, as certain OALs work well with spitzers, but overall, I have had better luck cycling a round nose.

Good luck with your loadings.
Bill in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks guys. I'll look for some jacketed RNs.
I'll also continue to work with the powder-coated and gas-checked boolit from the Lee 309-170RF mold. Dan, does Henwood list any specific recipes for cast with 2400? That book is currently outside my price range! 8-)