New guy here, found a model 8

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
lotsagas4u

New guy here, found a model 8

Post by lotsagas4u »

Hello, recently found a model 8 for sale, gun was made in 1926, and is chambered in .30 remington. It appears to be a all original finish rifle. It is by no means a mint rifle. Bore is bright, straight stock and forend match. Has a sling loop on the forend as it should, no stud on the rear bottom of buttstock. Guy wants $800 for it. I have always wanted one of these, just not sure of the value, and ammo is a concern. What are you guys thoughts on this. I live in the texas panhandle, and its rare to see one these nowadays, thanks.
jack1653

Re: New guy here, found a model 8

Post by jack1653 »

Hey lotsagas4u,

Welcome to the Forum. Price is dependent on condition and how bad you want the rifle. I would think this would be on the upper end for this rifle. If there are no wood cracks or extreme blemishes and the metal is not rusty or pitted then it would be considered in good condition. Ammunition will be an issue unless you reload. This ammunition was discontinued many years ago. That being said you can occasionally find it on some of the auction sites but be willing to shell out the dollars for it.

The "swivel" that you see on the forearm is not a swivel but rather the takedown screw. It is not meant to be used as a swivel. There would be no swivel on the stock from the factory. These were added later by the owners. Be careful not to mount a swivel to the forearm because the wood is purposely thin.

If you get it be sure to post some pictures for us to see and enjoy. There ate many guys here that are willing to answer questions if you have any. Scan the various threads on the site to get a lot of information about these rifles.

Regards,

jack1653
Hester

Post by Hester »

I've got a Model 8 in .35 cal coming it should be here tomorrow according to tracking # from FedEx, my main concern on mine is I hope it functions good I've been lucky enought to order find some dies and 4 boxes of ammo. Good luck with the gun I paid just a little less for mine in good condition but I would have paid $800.00 because i wanted one.
81police

Post by 81police »

$800 is a tad high, unless the rifle is truly in fantastic condition. And if you want to get solid perspective on condition post pictures here and many knowledgeable members can comment. 30Rem is a bit less desirable caliber nowadays as the ammo is hard to find (unless you reload). I will say the 30Rem is FUN FUN to shoot!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
lotsagas4u

Post by lotsagas4u »

Can you shoot the new hornady lever ammo in the .35?
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

You sure can ;) I have shot it and it works fine. :D

Regards,

jack1653