Brand New 81 Owner

New Member Introductions
50Duece

Brand New 81 Owner

Post by 50Duece »

Hello everyone. My name is Tony. I'm an apprenticing gunsmith at a gun shop in Northern Michigan, and former infantryman in the Army. 2 weeks ago I picked up my first 81 in .35 Rem. Found it on the used rack at the local Gander Mountain. Went in for pants, came out with a gun. We've had an 81 in .30 Rem sitting on our rack for quite a few years. I've always been fascinated by it, but couldn't bring myself to buy a gun in an obsolete caliber, even at the great price we have it for. I haven't fired my 81 one yet, but it is my new favorite gun. I was also lucky enough to pick up a Marble R6 sight off of ebay this week. I couldn't let it get away. I'm really looking forward to learning more about this rifle, and I'm glad I stumbled across this site. Thank you all for the great information you put out, and I look forward to interacting with you in the days to come.

Tony
Attachments
81.jpg
81.jpg (127.23 KiB) Viewed 8247 times
non timebo mala
Roger

Re: Brand New 81 Owner

Post by Roger »

Welcome aboard,Sir. We're pretty serious about our model/81s here on this forum,and glad to have you with us. You'll find most members to be very helpful if you have a question or some mechanical problem with your rifle. It appears from the picture you posted,that you have gotten a really nice early m-81 in a great caliber. It will be a great addition to your collection. However you should be aware that they will become unruly and demand that you get them some roommates. In fact I can already see that 30 rem. Unit on it's way to your house.Lol.
Have fun and enjoy your newest rifle.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
50Duece

Post by 50Duece »

Thank you sir. Based on my serial number (4117), I believe it was manufactured in 1937. It is in great shape though, and I can't wait to take it out into the woods this year. The 81 we have in .30 Rem at work is in even better condition than mine. Quite the beautiful specimen. And we've got a great price on it. We've even got one box of .30 Rem sitting on the shelf. Just waiting for that right person to walk in and snatch her up.
non timebo mala
81police

Post by 81police »

that's a fine lookin' spring-pole you got there! You're going to enjoy shooting it as much, if not more, than looking at it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

+1 very nice early 81 score, 50Deuce!

Curious minds would be very interested in the rifle for sale at your gun shop - don't tease - can you give us who may be very interested in consideration of buying the .30Rem rifle a link to the business address/etc?

It wouldn't be sitting for years if people knew about it on the web, that's for sure!

Take care and have fun with your new springpole!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Tony,

hope you've had the chance to take your .35 springpole out for some shooting - and if you got that R6 sight, how's it working?

take it easy!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
adirond8

Post by adirond8 »

yup very nice looking 81. I'm sure you'll find it a pleasure to shoot, you're only down side will be if you don't reload finding enough 35 ammo to keep up with your craving.