Safety problems. Need a fix

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Idahohunter

Safety problems. Need a fix

Post by Idahohunter »

My model 8, in 32 rem works great except for the safety. Sometimes when i flip off the safety, the gun will fire (yikes). I have noticed that if i manually push the trigger forward before i take the safety off, it will not do this. Im guessing it is a broken spring, but would love the opinion of this forum.

Thanks in advance.
jim18611865

Re: Safety problems. Need a fix

Post by jim18611865 »

If you get it to work properly, how light is that trigger pull?
If it was me I would dis-assemble. You will then in all likely-hood see what the issue is with the trigger assy. out.
Then decide if it needs a gunsmith or not.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

One of the issues that can cause this is if someone has stoned the trigger or hammer hooks to lighten the trigger pull. The safety lever may have twisted on the shaft, I've seen this on a rifle or 2. You might check the screw that holds the trigger spring and the Main spring is tight, it's the second one in the bottom tang. Not the end one. :ugeek:
Phyrbird
SOKY
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I'm thinking that your problem is with either the trigger or the hammer. Nothing to do with the safety. There are two catches on the hammer and the trigger. They are to catch the hammer after firing and the trigger must be released forward before the hammer can be released for the next shot. I think this is called searless trigger. Check the notches on the hammer and trigger. They should be sharp and at an angle. The other thing that can happen is that it can have a slam fire which is firing a second shot after pulling the trigger only once. In extreme cases, this could become an automatic weapon - not semi-automatic. Don't go there.