Joined the 81 club

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
mac66

Joined the 81 club

Post by mac66 »

Picked this 81 up today. My first one. It is a 1947 standard in 300 Savage. It has kind of unique checkered stocks though the stocks have been refinished, thus the worn looking checkering. Also a Redfield rear peep sight and Bucheimer #0243 leather sling. Metal is pristine with barely a spot on it which, the more I look at it makes me believe it has been reblued. Lettering on the barrel looks worn. There is a mark on the lower tang that is pretty clear and crisp. It is J+J, who might have been the people who refinished it. The refinishing is well done and it is a beautiful rifle. I didn't pay very much for it so I am happy to get a piece of iconic Browning design.

Last edited by mac66 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sarge756

Re: Joined the 81 club

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome Mac . Refinished or not it looks to be a fine 81, that as you say, you didn`t pay very much for. The checkering pattern is unique and interesting. Though well worn with some damage it could be recut and the damage repaired. I`m full up with projects at the moment but should you want to have that done down the road and don`t have someone local to do the checkering let me know. For now enjoy shooting it and thanks for the photos.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
mac66

Post by mac66 »

Thanks,

I am pretty sure the stock was sanded to be refinished which accounts for the checkering being worn and damaged. Kind of a shame because the front fore stock is pretty elaborate. Does anyone know if the factory did checkering on the standard model, perhaps by request? Redoing the checkering would probably cost more than the rifle did. LOL. So for now I will think about it.

If we didn't have 3 feet of snow on the ground I'd go out and shoot the darn thing.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey mac66,

Welcome to the forum. There are some threads on the site about checkering that you may find that will answer your question. The checkering on your rile does not appear to be factory checkered when compared to what we know to be factory checkering. The pattern is well done however and would be a welcome addition to any collection.

Regards,

jack1653
mac66

Post by mac66 »

As long as I am posting pics I may as well document some more of the checkering here. I didn't think it was factory and of course now it will drive me crazy.

Last edited by mac66 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey mac66,

Thanks for the additional pictures. This is definitely not a factory checker.

I think I would take Sarge756 up on his offer to have it retraced. It is a unique pattern an when it was originally done, I bet it was beautiful. Many of us have checkered rifles that were not done at the factory; some better than others. I personally like to see variations and this is a good example. If it were mine, I would contact Joe and get it back to the original checkering and be proud to show it off.

Regards,

jack1653
mac66

Post by mac66 »

Would sort of like to see what it looked like before it was sanded down. Bet it was real pretty.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

You have a PM
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
mac66

Post by mac66 »

Another photo

Last edited by mac66 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey mac66,

There is nothing wrong with those pictures. After viewing them I would strongly suggest you purse the idea of getting the forearm re-traced. I think you will be more than satisfied with the results.

Regards,

jack1653
mac66

Post by mac66 »

jack1653 wrote:Hey mac66,

There is nothing wrong with those pictures. After viewing them I would strongly suggest you purse the idea of getting the forearm re-traced. I think you will be more than satisfied with the results.

Regards,

jack1653
I agree about the checkering.
mac66

Post by mac66 »

Update:

I managed to pick up 3 boxes of ammo and 110 brass in a trade for 4 boxes of 9mm. Good deal for me since I bought that 9mm stuff back when it was cheap.

Vintage stuff but should be ok. Because of the condition of the actually boxes 40+ rounds are in the plastic case, one of the boxes of Winchester is full, the others are empty.