Miss-fire

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
snake699

Miss-fire

Post by snake699 »

I have cleaned and re-assembled my 1915 model8 but I did not install a new firing pin. The gun still miss-fires. It sounds like a dry fire. No mark of any sort on the cartridge. I was wondering if anyone knows what the factory length of the firing pin should be so I know if mine is worn down, or if it may be another problem I am not aware of.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
henn9438

Re: Miss-fire

Post by henn9438 »

I have the correct sized punch, but this rifle hasn't been disassembled in probably 50+ years
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I measure 2.922" long on a pin I have as a spare that is suppose to be a factory original.

Good luck.

ROB
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Snake,

You might pull the bolt carrier, it's not hard after the rifle is taken down. Instructions here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buster_cha ... 42/detail/
:ugeek:
Once the bolt carrier is out you can press the firing pin, it should move freely even if it has a return spring. You can press in the bolt stop spring on the left side, rotate the bolt to the closed position, and check the firing pin travel out of the the bolt face.
If there's a problem it should be obvious with the bolt closed. Another thing to look for is a mushroomed firing pin, it can present as chain fires, also as hung to the rear.

NOte; be sure the bolt is in the open position B4 installing the barrel, the action won't close if it's not.

Good luck
Phyrbird
SOKY