Assembly triger and magazine to chamber

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
granpaws81

Assembly triger and magazine to chamber

Post by granpaws81 »

I have for the first time disassembled and cleaned my 81. It has been a learning experience to say the least. I am now at the end and stymied. I can't get the trigger and magazine assemble back into the chamber. Any suggestions?
jack1653

Re: Assembly triger and magazine to chamber

Post by jack1653 »

Check the thread just above your posting called "Disassembly Videos" that has been posted by 81police.

Regards,

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

That shouldn't be too much of a problem. But I hope you don't have difficulty in replacing the tang screw when you go to replace the buttstock. That can really be frustrating. See my post on that topic if it happens to you.
granpaws81

Post by granpaws81 »

I used the video to dissassemble. As far as I can see, the assembly in the chamber is correct. When I try to insert the trigger and magazine I can get it to seat in the front or the rear. It is hung up somewhere in the middle. I have tried with the trigger in both the open and closed position, it is open in the video. I have tried it with the safety in various positions but still no luck.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Without seeing the rifle, I'll made a suggestion. There is a very thin leaf spring that goes under the the trigger spring and both springs are held in place with the short tang screw. There is ony one way to put the leaf spring in and that is with the notch end, tabs up toward the muzzle end and the hole in the leaf spring toward the butt. When you insert the trigger from the top of the trigger guard, you must slide the trigger into the notch and under the leaf spring so that the spring rests on the trigger. All you should have to do is align the hole in the trigger with the hole in the trigger assembly and slide the retaining pin through the trigger.

If this doesn't work, post another message and I'll make another suggestion.

Regards,

jack1653
granpaws81

Post by granpaws81 »

I actually never took the trigger assembly apart with the exception of removing the clip. I have cleaned them and put them back together. The problem now is I can't get the triggerassembly, including clip back into the chamber.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

My Bad. I miss understood the issue. Let me start over. If you removed the magaine, make certain that you have the magazine springs back on the magazine. If there are two springs, make certain that you do not cross them. Align the spring with the hole(s) in the magazine and slip in from the top of the assembly. The magzine should seat itself by pressing down on it and it can't pass through the trigger assembly. Many times when you attempt to put the assembly back in the receiver, it doesn't go all the way forward into the slot that is on the muzzel end of the receiver. Gently tap the back of the trigger assembly toward the muzzel. If it is all the way forward in the slot, the assmbly should push into the receiver with no effort. Start the screw before you drive in the side pin.

If this doesn't work, we will try something else.

Regards,

jack1653
granpaws81

Post by granpaws81 »

I think you are on to something with the magazine. When I look inside to see where I am hung up it appears it is the magazine hanging up but I can't be certain. I am able to slide the assembly forward into the slots but only ath the assemble being held at an angle.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Make certain that the magazine is completely down and level with the bottom of the trigger guard. The assembly must be started at an angle to go into the slot. Tap it forward if you need to. It should fit tight with no "wiggle". You should now be able to just squeeze the two components together and insertr the screw.

jack1653
granpaws81

Post by granpaws81 »

Got it! Many thanks my friend for putting up with such an obvious novice, awesome gun awesome site.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Not a problem. Glad that you got it back together. :D We all have been there with various issues. Just about the time you think you got it, something else will pop up. :o

Now the only other thing you have to worry about is the dreaded "jackitis" named after yours truly. :shock: It will surely get you if you hang around this bunch very long. :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Cool, thnk I just learned something! :o
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine