Hello from Virginia

New Member Introductions
byrdjp

Hello from Virginia

Post by byrdjp »

Hi everyone. I'm from the tidewater region of Virginia. Got lucky and found a model 8 in a pawn shop for $100 out the door. Managed to disassemble the rifle all the way up to the barrel jacket bushing, it is completely stuck. Glad to find this board, I'll be doing some serious forum searching.
Hardrada55

Re: Hello from Virginia

Post by Hardrada55 »

Good to have you here. This is a really good crew of guys, very knowledgeable. $100 is the best price I've heard about on a Model 8 in a long time. Got to ask for pictures on this one.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
byrdjp

Post by byrdjp »

It's in pieces right now, however there wasn't an ounce of blue left on it. The previous owner was nice enough to clean it with steel wool. He also apparently put the springs in the barrel jacket backwards and now the bushing is completely stuck. Luckily all the pieces were there in the receiver and I loaded up some 30 Remington and fired it so it functions (at least it did before I disassembled it). If you want I can take a picture of the stack of parts.
81police

Post by 81police »

byrdjp,

a long soak in penetrating oil would be my first move. Also, what tools are you using for the barrel assembly takedown?

If you haven't seen the video below it shows Bob with Circle B Ranch (circlebranch@cox.net) using his "Pro-Tools". I've got a set myself, they're built tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZhI3T9nMb0
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
byrdjp

Post by byrdjp »

I actually soaked the bushing end of the jacket in a mason jar of kroil overnight. I have a set of tools I machined myself, but the bushing was stuck. I pretty much put the jacket back on the receiver, put the receiver in a padded vice, then tapped on the bushing with a mallet and an old screw driver. After an hour and locating a replacement bushing, I decided to just give it one really good whack. Bingo, bushing off and now the rifle is completely disassembled. Since it's a beater I've just decided to park the rifle. Once that's done I'll re-assemble, reload some 30 Rem and go blast some wild hog with it.
81police

Post by 81police »

byrdjp wrote:Once that's done I'll re-assemble, reload some 30 Rem and go blast some wild hog with it.

I like the way you talk :D Congrats on getting that bushing free, probably hasn't been off since who knows when!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
byrdjp

Post by byrdjp »

Someone at some point had taken it off and overtorqued it. They were also nice enough to put the springs back in the wrong order which I'm sure didn't help. Now I just have to find a Model 8 in a nice enough condition to hang on the wall and just stare at.