Winchester 52B - 1939 and Springfield M2 - 1933

Items for sale or trade
imfuncity

Winchester 52B - 1939 and Springfield M2 - 1933

Post by imfuncity »

Anyone into old rimfires?
I do not know what this is worth so decided to try an auction, my first for selling. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =222391912
Rimfire001.jpg
Rimfire001.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
I also have a 1933 Springfield M2 that I'm going to sell.
Rimfire019.jpg
Rimfire019.jpg (67.8 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
Helpful comments regading value, how or where to sell, etc. would be appreciated. Let me know if I did right and/or if interested, offers will be considered.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Re: Winchester 52B - 1939 and Springfield M2 - 1933

Post by DWalt »

I saw a Springfield appearing virtually identical to yours at the local gun show today (but no scope). Guy was asking $400 for it. I don't know if that's a good or bad price, as it would depend on the details of yours vs. his. I'm no expert on Springfields, although I have some.

I also have a Win 52B, but mine has the bull barrel, a target stock, Marble-Goss micrometer sight and a Unertl target scope. Mine is ca. 1947. As you may know, the Model 52B had a lot of factory options in stocks and barrels. The model designation of 52B refers only to the action design, and not much else. I wouldn't take any less than $1200 for my 52B setup, as the scope alone could easily bring $400-500 by itself. The Marble-Goss sight could easily go $200-300 by itself, even on a bad day. As yours shows no sight equipment, that's a major negative for value. Buyers would expect to have sighting equipment included in the purchase.

Although the 52B was a fine target gun in its heyday, it won't hold a candle to the current match .22s (or even the 52C or 52D) for serious shooting, so the market (such as it is) for a 52B is to be found mainly among junior or beginning shooters and those that convert them to Model 52 sporters. Unfortunately, 50 foot gallery shooting, for which the Model 52 was well suited, is not nearly as popular as it was from the 1940s through the 1960s. There are not a whole lot of target rifle collectors, but some Winchester collectors could be interested.

As you might infer, I would not expect anything in 4 figures for the pair, especially not from a gun dealer. But you won't know until you try to sell them.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

It was a surprise to me to find out the Sprg M2 is worth more then the Win 52B (almost triple if it had not been drilled for the scope mount). Based on my emails, sounds like the 52B will be going to AK to a benchrest shooter.

To decide if I really wanted to sell the M2 I took it for a spin yesterday, bad idea it really is deadly accurate. Trigger is nice but nothing compared to the 52B!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I suppose a benchrest shooter could shoot a 52B, but I don't know why. Benchrest shooters get their jollies from experimentation with various loads and gun modifications to achieve the goal of one-hole groups at 100 and 200 yards. My own experimentation with my 52B using every brand of .22 LR ammunition on the market, both match and non-match, shot from a bench rest with scope produced 5-shot groups of 16mm to 23mm at 50 yards, and 60mm-68mm at 100 yards on a still day. This is X-ring target shooting for a .22, but it wouldn't impress even a novice bench rest shooter much.

I have seen Schuetzen shooters use Model 52s to good effect, but they usually butcher them up in the process of modifying them for the sport. Plus, there aren't too many of those shooters in the US today.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

So much for carefull planning - haveing an auction close in the middle of the NCAA final! :oops: 7 bids in 9 mins, during half-time - DUH!

Think I'm fairly safe now and can miss closing my next auction during the Superbowl or Stanley Cup or ... that is if I get on listing the M2! :roll: