difficult safety-sometimes

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Alatheia

difficult safety-sometimes

Post by Alatheia »

I've noticed in working 'my new to me' 8 that the safety lever sometimes works smoothly and at other times is extremely hard to move from safe to fire. Anyone experienced this and have a cure? It may just need to be thoroughly cleaned, haven't done that yet.
Thanks,

David
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Wildgoose

Re: difficult safety-sometimes

Post by Wildgoose »

Hello,
All of my 8 and 81 rifles were in need of a cleaning and inspection to achieve correct assembly and safe function. I would highly recomend striping the action and have a look. If there is a problem with the safety other than grime and hardened old lube you should be able to spot it. There are great refrences here on the list to give you the guidence needed to get the job done. If you have any questions just ask here. Someone will have the answer! :D
81police

Post by 81police »

Looking at your pics, the safety appears to be a replacement. Could indicate something internally not meshing right.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Alatheia

Post by Alatheia »

81police wrote:Looking at your pics, the safety appears to be a replacement. Could indicate something internally not meshing right.
Clue me in as to why it looks like a replacement.

Thanks, David
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244)
Alatheia

Post by Alatheia »

Never mind, just looked at some of the pics on the site. My guess it is the finish of the lever. I'm learning.
81police

Post by 81police »

you got it Alatheia ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator