hoter ammo

Posts about the Model 8
eagles

hoter ammo

Post by eagles »

Are any of the current hotter ammo like the Bufalo Bore 35 Reington , plus P etc safe in the Model 8 for just hunting . I know of fa few people who claim to shoot them with no problems of any kind since they ae still same spec loads. Does anyone sell replacement stronger springs that would be better for a little over the factory rounds ? Anyone here shoot anything hotter ? I know the ammo makers HAVE TO put warnings on the boxes to protect themselves from the stuf being used in an old and worn out gun , but if it is tight and checked out are the that unsafe ?
mtaukumgold

Re: hoter ammo

Post by mtaukumgold »

There is one born every day..... Buy a bolt action!
eagles

Post by eagles »

Wow , realy what great advice (not ) :( . lisiten , I do not take to smart ass comments from people I do not know .You want to start with insults , expect them back, grow up and be civel . I am 61 years old and have been hunting since I was 9. I have a safe full of rifles, levers. bolts and double rifles so start being polite and asking about some one before spouting off . I have even taken the Muzzle loading world record Grizzly with a flintlock . The queation is a legit question which I have not seen a clear answer on , well uh not sure , it might be ok , gun wont last as long , OR the company said no problem . Buffalo Bore ammo is still loaded to specs BUT I was hoping to get some semi (at least ) scientific responses on those who may have tried this in the model 8. I see no reason to use lower powered loads on game than the gun can handle . Will the gun fail ? Does it need stiffer springs ? Will it Jam or cause stress cracks ? Responses in the intelligent field would be good . By the way I have special made lever action (modified model 87) 12 gauge rifled barrel , heavy double rifle Brass that equals a 505 Gibs . I allso have a 50- 110 custom lever on a Browning model 71 and a model 95 in 405 with acrtion work to handle 400 grain rounds for better S.D. on dangerous stuff . so you do not have to go to a bolt action for more power , in case that escaped you but If I want to I can use my 35 Newton bolt (Yes I have a 1916 orriginal with the take down leather case , same one shown in the Newton hard cover book ).I have no desire to get into an a flame war with some brave internet warrior so be polite or do not respond . ;) Any moderator looking realize I did not start this and came to ask an honest question but WONT take insults .
81police

Post by 81police »

eagles,

To answer your question with a legitimate, non sarcastic, response...I have not used Buffalo Bore 220gr. 35Rem but I do believe some members on here have. If it were my rifle, I probably would stick with factory loaded 200gr. for which the rifles were designed. If I had to shoot the BB stuff, I'd do it very little. There are no other springs out there, and the 35Rem & 300Sav have the stoutest Remington made. Me personally, I would not exceed the loadings for which the rifles were intended.

Welcome to the forum eagles, we're glad to have ya!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thank you Cam, I would never make them a steady diet , I was just wondering if anyone had any experiance with them . I am planing on redoing a model 8 , wood , engraving the works , eventualy, as I think they are one very good looking rifle . I had read on another page on the interent some one was making new springs for them so wondered if there were heavy duty ones . The guns feel substantial and actualy feels more so than many modern semi autos . 200 grain Remingtom CL seem to be the best standard round from what I have read . I often hunt large Boars , last one was 400 plus , took two custom 300 Grain Hawk slugs in a 375 winchester Big Bore and he still ran 40 yards , one through both shoulder plates and one angling shot from the next to last rib , stopped in the esophogous . If I take the 35 I want to build, for them I would not mind the buffalo bore rounds .
texassako

Post by texassako »

I would ask what pressure they are loading for in their hot .35 Rem. If it is lower or the same as the .300 Savage, then it should handle the pressures fine. I would then wonder about battering the receiver with hot and heavy loads. In my M81 the Hornady Leverevolution .35 Rem is a tad hotter than it liked (200gr/2225fps/flattened primers) but accurate, and Buffalo Bore is pushing a slightly heavier bullet at similar speed for twice the money.
eagles

Post by eagles »

Good idea I think the 300 savage operates at something over 40,000 psi and the 35 is n the 30.'s . I could be wrong but if they are staying in the standard pressure range it should not be ober the 300 Savage . I will find out
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Our friend Pitchy posted his experience with 220 gr Speer bullets in the the 35 Rem under "35 Rem range report" back in October.With the loads of 4895 and his targets to show the results I had to agree that he may be on to something. Might want to take a look at it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
eagles

Post by eagles »

WILL DO , THANKS !!
eagles

Post by eagles »

Read today the BB 35 is loaded to 35,000 or way under the 300 Savage the Model 8 was good for which is 47,000 . Seems if needed for a special hunt the BB hot stuff would be fine I have a few other questions if anyone reading this thread might know

1. Does anyone know of a any great gunsmiths who have lots of experiance and you can recomend to work on these guns if needed ?

2.I saw a guy here once who builds nice replacement stocks for them , any ideas who does this ?

3. Way of topic but why do I have to log on each time I try to post ,even though I keep checking the box that says it will log me on each time automaticaly ?

Thanks
mtaukumgold

Post by mtaukumgold »

Ok..I apologize, must of been Santas blues..
eagles

Post by eagles »

No problem , thanks !!!
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Have you guys seen the ammo available here? Looks like some good 8 & 81 stuff.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... ers=419538
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I wound up with 11 boxes of ammo for the 8 & 81 for $289.00 including shipping and insurance. That's $26.27 per box delivered. Not to bad considering today's current ammo prices.

Now just to convince the wife that this was great.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"Now just to convince the wife that this was great."
Let's know how that works for you. ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine