My Browning A5

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Pitchy

My Browning A5

Post by Pitchy »

Picked up this 49 A5 a while back, the barrel was real pitted on the outside on the last foot so eventually i shortened it for a HD gun.
Here`s some pictures and videos.

video

pic.

pic.

vid.

vid

pic

pic
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
imfuncity

Re: My Browning A5

Post by imfuncity »

Very nice, sweet ole guns for sure.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

note to criminals, don't break into Pitchy's house! Very cool shorty!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, my main HD gun is a side by side 12 shortened as i find them the most dependable.
Had a guy tell me a A5 can`t be fired from the hip because of the way the action works so had to prove him wrong. :)

USAF-72-76
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Us lefties like from the hip even better... like those hot ones from the 8/81, down the front of the shirt (even those in the pocket!) are rather exciting!!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Pitchy,

Now I found this post finally about your shortened-barrel A5. I'm still on the fence about cutting my 720 Savage vent rib 26" barrel down to "riot" length, or just waiting til I locate an inexpensive Model 11 or Savage 720 "beater" barrel to work with.
See, problem for me is the 720 is in nice condition, far as original bluing is concerned. Also, the barrel (I believe) matches the receiver's serial number, since it was the original barrel.
The bummer about my choice is that although the vent rib is very clean and great in finish as well, some former owner sawed off the polychoke right at the end. I feel that this alone is reason enough to continue the surgery, and turn the barrel down to 19" or 20" like I want. Later, I can locate another long barrel with polychoke.

Thoughts, OP?

V/R
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Ouch!!! Things that are done by uninformed. The Bubba that put the poly on and the one that cut it off obviously did not know Savage A5s with rib barrels are very scarce and hard to find and a prize for Savage A5 collectors. Savage was a late bloomer to the A5 scene, from about 1930 to 1950. All you ever hear about is 720 and 745 models, however, variations included 721 w/rib, 722 w/vent rib, 723 -16 ga., 724-16 ga. w/rib, 726-16 ga. 3 shot, 727- 12 and 16 ga. w/rib, 728-12 and 16 ga. w/vent rib, 740C Skeet w/ cutts comp and I have in my collection a 12 and a 16 that fit the 728 model except they have monte carlo stocks w/pad and the 16 has a skeet barrel, likely the stocks were special order, but could be another variation. There is very little information published on these. The info I cited is gleaned from old gun catalogs. A Savage likely would not come with a poly choke as Savage had their own vari-choke. In my years of collecting I have not seen more than half a dozen with ribs and the monte carlo w/pads are the only ones I have ever seen. So please folks, if you have or see a Savage A5 w/rib and intend to shorten it please let me know as I could trade barrels or guns. Thanks, Jerry, sighthound37@q.com.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

sighthound wrote:Ouch!!! Things that are done by uninformed. The Bubba that put the poly on and the one that cut it off obviously did not know Savage A5s with rib barrels are very scarce and hard to find and a prize for Savage A5 collectors. Savage was a late bloomer to the A5 scene, from about 1930 to 1950. All you ever hear about is 720 and 745 models, however, variations included 721 w/rib, 722 w/vent rib, 723 -16 ga., 724-16 ga. w/rib, 726-16 ga. 3 shot, 727- 12 and 16 ga. w/rib, 728-12 and 16 ga. w/vent rib, 740C Skeet w/ cutts comp and I have in my collection a 12 and a 16 that fit the 728 model except they have monte carlo stocks w/pad and the 16 has a skeet barrel, likely the stocks were special order, but could be another variation. There is very little information published on these. The info I cited is gleaned from old gun catalogs. A Savage likely would not come with a poly choke as Savage had their own vari-choke. In my years of collecting I have not seen more than half a dozen with ribs and the monte carlo w/pads are the only ones I have ever seen. So please folks, if you have or see a Savage A5 w/rib and intend to shorten it please let me know as I could trade barrels or guns. Thanks, Jerry, sighthound37@q.com.
Thanks for your thoughts. It helps to hear from someone versed in Savage production history, since it seems to be a less-traveled path than the more popular makers.

I will look for a barrel that is "loose" rather than cut mine down any further. At the present time, I do not have a photo of my 720's barrel, but will post it soon.
It does have "PolyChoke" in script on the side of either the vent rib or the barrel, I can't recall. Also, it is my assumption that the threaded choke end was cut off at the muzzle, since there is nothing there. So, possible that this would have more appropriately been labeled a 722. Wow - new stuff - I will follow this!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Adam is the collar part of the poly still screwed onto the end of your barrel, I do not recall ever seeing the word poly inscribed on rib or side of barrel, only on the part that screws on the barrel or on the upper part that screws on the base part. Am thinking if this is the case that the top of poly was removed and the adjustable collet part of poly cut off. If this is the case then the base part could be removed and a new poly installed. Some polys have the sight on the base part which might explain why it was done this way.
Got interupted before previous post was finished and did not get into 745 models, this was lightweight model with alloy receiver. Savage post war guns were not up to quality and cheapend, I suppose because of price competition like auto industry. Savage also had their Springfield brand they sold to non franchised dealers and they made store brand guns for many like Sears Ranger, Wards Westernfield, Western Auto Revelation, and they made guns for Gambels, Belknap, Cotter and other chains with their brand names. All these were standard models with a different name. Jerry
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

sighthound wrote:Adam is the collar part of the poly still screwed onto the end of your barrel, I do not recall ever seeing the word poly inscribed on rib or side of barrel, only on the part that screws on the barrel or on the upper part that screws on the base part. Am thinking if this is the case that the top of poly was removed and the adjustable collet part of poly cut off. If this is the case then the base part could be removed and a new poly installed. Some polys have the sight on the base part which might explain why it was done this way.
Jerry
Jerry, I can't swear to this, but I believe that the script "polychoke" was engraved/stamped into the side of the "rib" itself. I will have to locate the barrel at home after work today.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts, Jerry!
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

As far as my Browning A5 is concerned the barrel was pitted bad on the muzzle end on the outside.
If the barrel would of been in good shape i wouldn`t off shortened it.

USAF-72-76
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Pitchy wrote:As far as my Browning A5 is concerned the barrel was pitted bad on the muzzle end on the outside.
If the barrel would of been in good shape i wouldn`t off shortened it.
Hey, I would have done the same. It's one thing to have a wall-hanger, but a whole 'nother if'n you like to shoot what you got!

That being said, I do have a few pics of my Savage 720 barrel to share. Examine, report back with any epiphanies or "hallelujah" moments please!
I measured again, found that the barrel from muzzle to barrel extension is now 29 1/2". The barrel is marked "MOD", which again explains that this was originally a 30" trap barrel with polychoke at the muzzle.

Again, you can tell that the serial number is repeated on the barrel, near the barrel extension.
Last edited by Adam Lee on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Pitchy,
I truly apologize for completely hijacking your thread!

I will eventually make a separate post.

Sorry, man.

Adam
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Adam no problem at all, keep on right here. :)

USAF-72-76